What's new

Discussion: General consensus on ASUS vs LINKSYS vs NETGEAR vs TP-link?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just out of curiosity, how many routers have you been involved in developing?

Zero. I have cars, appliances, phones, laptops brand preferences too. I'm an industrial automation engineer, but I never developed any of these products. I like specific style of music and type of food. I never composed any music and never participated in creating a new dish recipe. If you want to know. :)

difference between a software developer in the PRC and one from a different country. That said, the Taiwanese

People's Republic of China and Republic of China are both parts of the same country legally. Politics aside, if Chinese and Taiwanese "aren't very good most of the time" - Asus and TP-Link are out. Belkin's parent is Foxxcon, Taiwan - not good as well. Netgear is the only choice left from the list above. :oops:

The devices my parents got from their service providers were woefully out of date and received zero updates, which made them a huge security concern.

How many households in Sweden are being hacked annually because of bad security ISP routers?

Gentlemen,, this discussion is getting off track. Everyone cool down or I'll lock the thread.

Zero. I have cars, appliances, phones, laptops brand preferences too. I'm an industrial automation engineer, but I never developed any of these products. I like specific style of music and type of food. I never composed any music and never participated in creating a new dish recipe. If you want to know. :)
Likes is not the same as knowing what goes into making a product though, right?
You claim there's no difference, when in fact, there's a huge difference and that's why a lot of people, here especially, are grateful to Merlin and Voxel for keeping their products safe and up to date, since the companies behind them aren't always as proactive or at least as forthcoming with what has been updated and/or fixed.
Security patching of a router has become quite a critical thing these days, as more and more vulnerabilities are found and a lot of them are quite major issues that would allow your router to be taken over and used for malicious purposes.
I'm less worried about devices that sits behind my router, since I know that I'm at least as protected as I possibly can be, thanks to the fact that I have a device that receives regular updates.
To me, that's really a major thing and not something I take lightly these days.
The day my R7800 dies, I'd most likely go for an Asus router, as long as it's one of the devices Merlin supports.
People's Republic of China and Republic of China are both parts of the same country legally. Politics aside, if Chinese and Taiwanese "aren't very good most of the time" - Asus and TP-Link are out. Belkin's parent is Foxxcon, Taiwan - not good as well. Netgear is the only choice left from the list above. :oops:
Sorry, what?! Please, do NOT come with that BS here.
Taiwan is a country and has ZERO to do with the PRC, as it has its own government, military and so forth, so NO, they're not legally the same, whatever your twisted opinion is.

Asus has clearly taken to heart the lawsuit from the FCC and have stepped up their software efforts on the router side, but you really have to watch out what you're buying, as a lot of their products aren't properly supported and some are even worse supported than some TP-Link products.

How many households in Sweden are being hacked annually because of bad security ISP routers?
More than you'd think. Most, if not all of those devices have been replaced since it was reported by the local media, since they were deemed a severe security risk. The same thing happened in several South American countries last year, with Microsoft even paying to have some of those devices replaced, but I guess you don't read the news?

You clearly don't care about your clients security, which I think is bad business, but hey, that's on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!