What's new

TP-Link ER605 + ASUS GT-AC5300 - DUAL WAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

good day, I am planning on using ER605 as well, currently using my ASUS RT-AX86U to handle load balancing on my 2 ISP's, my problem is that it seems cannot handle well, sometimes I get this NO INTERNET on wifi devices, but my routing rules for PC and NAS seems to work fine. I am thinking of using ER605 to do the load balancing, I am just confused with the setup, should I connect my ISP to ER605 then the ER605 connect to ASUS router to broadcast my internet? thanks

good day, I am planning on using ER605 as well, currently using my ASUS RT-AX86U to handle load balancing on my 2 ISP's, my problem is that it seems cannot handle well, sometimes I get this NO INTERNET on wifi devices, but my routing rules for PC and NAS seems to work fine. I am thinking of using ER605 to do the load balancing, I am just confused with the setup, should I connect my ISP to ER605 then the ER605 connect to ASUS router to broadcast my internet? thanks
Yes that works. I have that setup and it works. But you could try install the Dual WAN failover script on this forum first, it does a good job if you then set rules on which client uses what WAN connection.

But I also want to control which clients use the primary WAN because my secondary WAN is 5G and has higher latency. Does anyone know how to set it so that ER605 can see the IP addresses of the clients behind the AX86u? The ER605 and AX86u are both running DHCP servers but with different subnets.

I tried turning off the DHCP server on the AX86u but it does not work, clients simply no longer get IP addresses and nothing works. I don't want to set AX86u in AP mode because I want to keep FlexQOS and any other Merlin script add ons (ER605 has no QOS).

Any thoughts?

Yes that works. I have that setup and it works. But you could try install the Dual WAN failover script on this forum first, it does a good job if you then set rules on which client uses what WAN connection.

But I also want to control which clients use the primary WAN because my secondary WAN is 5G and has higher latency. Does anyone know how to set it so that ER605 can see the IP addresses of the clients behind the AX86u? The ER605 and AX86u are both running DHCP servers but with different subnets.

I tried turning off the DHCP server on the AX86u but it does not work, clients simply no longer get IP addresses and nothing works. I don't want to set AX86u in AP mode because I want to keep FlexQOS and any other Merlin script add ons (ER605 has no QOS).

Any thoughts?
I found out how.

First, set static IP for the AX86u on the ER605. Then turn off DHCP, NAT and WAN on the AX86u while being in router mode. Then change the LAN IP of the AX86u to the static IP set on the ER605. The router will now reset. Move the lan cable plugged into the WAN port of the AX86u to a LAN port. Now you can type in the static IP to access the AX86u again. I believe I have flexQOS working now.

What you did is turning your router into access point. Nothing routing related will work on it.
Oh no... so the only way is to keep the AX86u as the main router... if this is the case, is there a way to make the upstream ER605 see the IP addresses given put by the downstream AX86u DHCP server so I can route my gaming devices to the ADSL WAN?

This is possible only if ER605 is the main router and AX86U is used as an access point. You also lose the Guest Network separation from main LAN/WLAN in this configuration. If you want proper Multi WAN with QoS options, traffic shaping, traffic management through different WAN connections, IPS/IDS options, Guest Network, VLANs, etc. you perhaps need something better than basic ER605 like pfSense appliance and proper access points with VLAN support. This $60 router was recommended for Dual WAN fail over/back management, nothing more. A cheap workaround solution to Asuswrt issues.

This is possible only if ER605 is the main router and AX86U is used as an access point. You also lose the Guest Network separation from main LAN/WLAN in this configuration.
Oh no.. I guess I will just have to lose the router function on the AX86u. Is it better to simply use AP mode or should I keep it at my current settings?

Is it better to simply use AP mode or should I keep it at my current settings?

AP Mode is like automated way of what you did and it hides inactive options from the GUI. It is perhaps better because you know what works and what doesn't. In your current configuration you have options in GUI doing nothing and causing some confusion or wrong expectations.

AP Mode is like automated way of what you did and it hides inactive options from the GUI. It is perhaps better because you know what works and what doesn't. In your current configuration you have options in GUI doing nothing and causing some confusion or wrong expectations.
I see... so even if I install Diversion or Skynet on it, I won't be able to get it to work then...

In your opinion, which router is better as the DHCP server? The ER605 or AX86u?

I see... so even if I install Diversion or Skynet on it, I won't be able to get it to work then...

Nothing routing related will work in AP Mode.

In your opinion, which router is better as the DHCP server? The ER605 or AX86u?

If your Asus is in AP Mode it has no DHCP server running on it. Your only DHCP server is on the ER605. There is no "better" configuration. It depends on what do you need. This entire thread is about Band-Aid solution to an existing problem, but it comes with pros and cons. I would run the Asus in Router Mode and let ER605 manage Dual WAN fail over/back only. This way you can configure your Asus the way you want and attach all your devices to it. Double NAT is not an issue for most users, but I don't know specifics around your use case.

Nothing routing related will work in AP Mode.

If your Asus is in AP Mode it has no DHCP server running on it. Your only DHCP server is on the ER605. There is no "better" configuration. It depends on what do you need. This entire thread is about Band-Aid solution to an existing problem, but it comes with pros and cons. I would run the Asus in Router Mode and let ER605 manage Dual WAN fail over/back only. This way you can configure your Asus the way you want and attach all your devices to it. Double NAT is not an issue for most users, but I don't know specifics around your use case.
I see. Thanks for this.. I spent days trying to figure this out. I guess I will keep the AX86u as the main like you suggested.