What's new

TP Link TL-SG3424 & SFP Connections

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

frankle

New Around Here
Purchased one of these as a start to upgrade our network at work to gigabit but need some advise on how best to move forward from here.

http://www.tp-link.com.au/products/details/?categoryid=222&model=TL-SG3424

Silent, managed, 24 port with 4 combo SFP, and under AU$400.00
It's worth a shot, and I can learn along the way about SFP & managed features.

We have been (and still are) using the following:

Cisco Catalyst 2980G
Cisco 2900XL (24 Port)

Do you think it will be easier to just buy more of the TL-SG3424 switches and link them with a pair of SFP slots (LAG I think) or should I try to somehow go from SFP on the TL-SG3424 to the 2 gigabit ports on the Cisco 2980G?

We have around 25 desktop computers (8 are POS systems, the rest are admin, CAD & video editing), 2 POS servers, 2 NAS boxes, 2 VM servers, 2 email servers. The TL-SG3424 is being used for the back end servers, NAS, video and CAD machines with a single link down to a 10/100 port on the 2980G.

There are around around 30 network printers (various POS slip printers, label printers, invoice printers) that obviously don't need gigabit so using the old 80 port for these could be an option.

Also, what cables should I be looking at to link a pair of the TL-SG3424 switches if we get another, are there short SFP DA cables or is it easier to just link a pair of standard gigabit ethernet ports?

Thanks!

Purchased one of these as a start to upgrade our network at work to gigabit but need some advise on how best to move forward from here.

http://www.tp-link.com.au/products/details/?categoryid=222&model=TL-SG3424

Silent, managed, 24 port with 4 combo SFP, and under AU$400.00
It's worth a shot, and I can learn along the way about SFP & managed features.

We have been (and still are) using the following:

Cisco Catalyst 2980G
Cisco 2900XL (24 Port)

Do you think it will be easier to just buy more of the TL-SG3424 switches and link them with a pair of SFP slots (LAG I think) or should I try to somehow go from SFP on the TL-SG3424 to the 2 gigabit ports on the Cisco 2980G?

We have around 25 desktop computers (8 are POS systems, the rest are admin, CAD & video editing), 2 POS servers, 2 NAS boxes, 2 VM servers, 2 email servers. The TL-SG3424 is being used for the back end servers, NAS, video and CAD machines with a single link down to a 10/100 port on the 2980G.

There are around around 30 network printers (various POS slip printers, label printers, invoice printers) that obviously don't need gigabit so using the old 80 port for these could be an option.

Also, what cables should I be looking at to link a pair of the TL-SG3424 switches if we get another, are there short SFP DA cables or is it easier to just link a pair of standard gigabit ethernet ports?

Thanks!

I'm just diving in to the managed switch pool as well, but from what I've seen on the link you provided, those last four ports will disable the last four gigabit ports if you use an SFP. I would say if your Cisco switches have gigabit ports as links, use gigabit cabling. SFP is more for fiber from what I have read, and you'll pay for that use. If they're all in the same cabinet, use copper and be done with it. Cheap, just as fast, and no additional configuration.

If you were going building to building or more than 100m, then SFP kicks in, or if you're in an RFI environment, SFP kicks in as well.

Not an expert, but that's what I've been reading/interpreting.

TL-SG5428 have dedicated 4x gigabit SFP Slots which 1000m only. No sharing of the 10/100/1000m 24-ports. Mine TL-SG3216 shared 2 Combo 100/1000Mbps SFP Slots from 15/16-ports become disabled. Really not much complexity with these switches very easy to run and maintain. CPU in side them I was trying to find out how the speed is? I can monitor the CPU and Memory under-load via the UI.