What's new

TP-Link TL-SX1008

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm having the same problem with the TL-SX1008, especially with the fan constantly changing its speed causing the constantly changing frequency of the noise.

I contacted TP-Link and their response was to move it to a place with a lower ambient air temparature. The temp in my office is about 25-27C which I don't consider to be high, so I'm not impressed with their suggestion considering that the specs say low noise operation. I think that they would have been better off avoiding the intelligent speed control and just using a constantly running low rpm, low noise fan...

At this point I've considered returning the switch back to Amazon, but the functionality is exactly what I want and its working well except for the noise. Also, I can't find any other switches that have the 8 RJ45 1G/2.5G/5G/10G ports that I need. So, being a EE, I've decided that I'll just bugger around with it to fix the fan noise.

So, has anyone sucessfully replaced the fan with a noctua nf-a4x20flx and eliminated the problem?

In any case, I've ordered a noctua nf-a4x20flx. It should arrive in a couple of days from amazon and I'll see what happens when I replace the existing fan and post the results.

I'm not very conerned about the air flow rate since, as near as I can tell, the fan seems to be operating at very low level. The switch operating temp range is 0–50 °C (32–122 °F). When the switch boots the turbo sounding fan noise shows what happens when the fan is on full (10cfm) which is what would happen with a 50 °C ambient. The switch is rack mountable which accounts for need for the 50 °C operating range since racks tend to have high ambients. For desktop operation in a climate controlled location like my office the fans are clearly operating at a much lower level, probably less than 50%. So I figure that the 5 cfm of the noctua nf-a4x20flx should be adequate for my office environment. Worst case is that I may have to bypass the speed control and just hook that new fan to the 12v rail to keep it at a constant 5cfm.

Dave...

I haven't got any further with this as some other things got in the way but I'm hoping you get a good result from the Noctua. The info you've provided about the fan speeds does encourage me to try the Noctua.

I believe the Netgear XS508M is the same spec as the TL-SX1008 but it's more expensive, availability is poor in the UK and I've read reports of overheating problems anyway.

So, has anyone sucessfully replaced the fan with a noctua nf-a4x20flx and eliminated the problem?
Yes, and it's working great! The stock fan was 47dB(A) at idle with the switch doing absolutely nothing. nf-a4x20flx is 36.3dB(A), or basically the noise floor of the room in this case while also offering higher air flow compared to the stock fan. Given the fans are like $15 USD it really makes you wonder why TP-Link didn't juse use a better fan for the TL-SX1008, they'd still be great value.. Here's a short guide for swapping the fan: https://www.rootusers.com/how-to-fix-tp-link-tl-sx1008-switch-fan-noise/

I haven't got any further with this as some other things got in the way but I'm hoping you get a good result from the Noctua. The info you've provided about the fan speeds does encourage me to try the Noctua.

I believe the Netgear XS508M is the same spec as the TL-SX1008 but it's more expensive, availability is poor in the UK and I've read reports of overheating problems anyway.
Snapshot, Thanks for letting me know about the Netgear XS508M. It is available here in Canada for CAD$686.58 (https://amzn.to/3tfDSVz). The specs show: Acoustic noise level @ 25°C (ANSI-S10.12) us 22.5 dBA which is pretty quiet. I paid CAD$449.99 for the TL-SX1008.
Since EricS has indicated that the nf-a4x20flx replacement fan is working and since I've ordered one, I'll stick to my plan and change the fan in the TL-SX1008.

Yes, and it's working great! The stock fan was 47dB(A) at idle with the switch doing absolutely nothing. nf-a4x20flx is 36.3dB(A), or basically the noise floor of the room in this case while also offering higher air flow compared to the stock fan. Given the fans are like $15 USD it really makes you wonder why TP-Link didn't juse use a better fan for the TL-SX1008, they'd still be great value.. Here's a short guide for swapping the fan: https://www.rootusers.com/how-to-fix-tp-link-tl-sx1008-switch-fan-noise/
EricS, Thanks for the information and the guide. I'm sure it will only take me a few minutes to swap in the new fan and I expect it will work perfectly. I'll post on my experiance with the upgrade and reference your update guide.