What's new

TPLink Deco X60 and home network storage recommendations (Ethernet or wireless)?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

we5inelgr

New Around Here
Hi all,

We just switched from an AX6000, to a Deco X60 Mesh for better coverage.

However, now I can't connect my Seagate External hard drive which has a USB 3.0 connection only. The Deco X60 only has an ethernet connection available.

This external drive is only used for file/photo/videos backup. No gaming, no streaming.

Looking for a drive that's accessible from multiple devices on our home network.

Would prefer an ethernet connection for the external drive (plug into the X60 directly), but WiFi/wireless would be fine as well.

Looking for something in the 2 TB (minimum) to around 4 or 5 TB (max) size.

Something that isn't really large, as in...the size of a small PC tower (ex. a multi-bay NAS). I've gotten used to a slimmer EHD such as Seagate's STHP4000401 sitting on a side table in the office next to the router, so I'd like to keep it generally around this size for space and weight considerations.

Seems like most options I've found so far are either the bigger NAS set ups, or the slimmer options are more for travel size (250mb - 1 TB).

Any recommendations for an ethernet connected 2-4 TB external drive?

Thanks.

An external drive with an Ethernet port is money poorly spent.

Use this opportunity to buy a real NAS instead. Even an entry-level one with 2x 4TB HDDs will give you 5 times the performance or more than what you previously had. Along with redundancy too if set up as a RAID1 array.

I suggest QNAP models, but Synology is equivalent in quality, if not the best deal on the hardware you're purchasing.

Update: After more research, I decided to go with a NAS after-all. I thought they would be too big and heavy, but clearly there are options out there that are smaller these days.

Went with a Synology NAS DiskStation DS220j (Diskless), 2-bay; with two Seagate IronWolf's NAS ready HDD.

The NAS (w/o the drives) is only 3.3 pounds and measures 8.86 x 3.94 x 6.5 inches.

I'll plug the ethernet connection for the NAS, right into the main X60.

Very much looking forward to having a "proper," more secure home file backup/sharing system.

An external drive with an Ethernet port is money poorly spent.

Use this opportunity to buy a real NAS instead. Even an entry-level one with 2x 4TB HDDs will give you 5 times the performance or more than what you previously had. Along with redundancy too if set up as a RAID1 array.

I suggest QNAP models, but Synology is equivalent in quality, if not the best deal on the hardware you're purchasing.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, after doing more research, NAS was really the only way to go for our needs.