What's new

Track time on web sites

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wiz561

Occasional Visitor
Hi!

I was wondering if anybody knew of a way you can log the time spent on a web site. For example, how many hours were spent on facebook?

I know of a chrome add-on that does this, but wondered if this can be accomplished on merlin or through snort.

Thanks!

Hi!

I was wondering if anybody knew of a way you can log the time spent on a web site. For example, how many hours were spent on facebook?

I know of a chrome add-on that does this, but wondered if this can be accomplished on merlin or through snort.

Thanks!

That can't be done from a router. A typical webpage can take 2-3 seconds to load, after which the router has no idea how much time the user spends on that page since it's done transferring it.

Thanks for the response. I agree that it would be difficult to track from the router.

I believe that I *may* be able to accomplish something close to this by using Squid. It sounds like you can run reports with Squint (through Squid) that will generate a report with this information. However, this is a web proxy solution and not really built into merlin. You also have to keep in mind that keeping a web site open in the background may give bad results.

Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!