What's new

Traditional QOS = Broken

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KimN

Occasional Visitor
Hello everyone,

I have this weird behavior happening, ever since I've got the router I've always used the traditional QOS to limit how much certain devices use of bandwidth and without any problem at all, all rules of priority being followed.
5 days ago I have installed Merlin latest firmware to try it out, and it now made my traditional QOS have this weird glitch that a device that has the higher priority, with max bandwidth fall into a lower category. It quite often, I will start a stream and the device instead of having 8mb will have just 3mb which is the a lower priority settings. I even changed the 3mb on the lower priority to 4mb to test it and indeed when I tested it showed 4mb and not 3mb anymore. 1 out of 20 times I try to stream my bandwidth will be capped.

I have no clue what could be causing it, funny enough I have tried to go back to stock firmware and now even there I have this issue. Tried wps reset, factory reset and most stuff I could find online, and now I am pretty much lost on what to do/try.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to show the problems I have found on the traditional QOS on Asus routers.

I have a AC-86u and a GT-AX11000 and both have the exact same problem and I can't fix it even if my life depends on it.

Hard to explain with just words you can see here:

The rules you for prioritization on the router will simply just not work, router will just do whatever it wants, more specific doesn't matter which prioritization group a device is it will always be on low one.

I've just ran out of ideas.

Just don't use it. :cool:

What are you trying to achieve that other methods aren't an option?

Just don't use it. :cool:

What are you trying to achieve that other methods aren't an option?

I mean it is a extremely expensive hardware to have such a problem don't you agree?

I am trying to have the entire house over 20 devices able to use just 20% of the upload, and leave 3 computers with the rest(80%).

I am inclined to move from Asus and get another router that can do that but I just can't find it, seems like every new router specially AX ones now relay on this QOS.

You'll have to give more details about the network and how it's connected and how you expect it to work.

While there are many ways to skin a cat, doesn't mean they're all equally good.

You don't buy a Ferrari to help your friend move, for example.

You'll have to give more details about the network and how it's connected and how you expect it to work.

While there are many ways to skin a cat, doesn't mean they're all equally good.

You don't buy a Ferrari to help your friend move, for example.

I am not sure what kind of information I would have to give you tbh but I will try.

Got a ISP modem(cable) on bridge mode connected to my GT-AX11000, nothing else the router handles all network.
4 devices connected to it's 4 lan ports, 3 computers 1 lighthub.

What I expect from what I am trying to achieve is to have any connected device on the network, doesn't matter if it is wifi or cable to only be able to use a % of the upload bandwidth, which for example 20%.
And have 3 other devices (my computers) to have 80% of the upload reserved for them. *Something that would just make sure these 3 have the 80% of the upload bandwidth as they need would work too, don't necessarily need to block it.*

And that is pretty much it I believe.

What are your paid-for ISP speeds, up and down?

What is special about the 80% you 'need' for your 3 main devices? What actual use are they put through?

You may consider using the RT-AC86U with RMerlin firmware on it to be able to use CakeQoS, or FlexQoS, depending on which works better for your expectations.

The goal should be that your 3 main devices aren't affected by the other devices' use of the ISP pipe. A percentage can rarely achieve that.

As I said, there are many ways to attack this. You may even consider putting the GT-AX11000 as an AiMesh node (or make it an AiMesh AP), too, so that it benefits from the better QoS RMerlin firmware offers.

With so few details you offer, it is hard to be more specific (and even the above attempts at giving some ideas depend on the answers to the questions above).

Btw, I don't have time to watch a video. Just give the pertinent info it contains in point form within a post. :)

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to show the problems I have found on the traditional QOS on Asus routers.

I have a AC-86u and a GT-AX11000 and both have the exact same problem and I can't fix it even if my life depends on it.

Did you reboot the routers after setting up QoS rules?

Seems the setting do not take affect sometimes until you reboot.

What are your paid-for ISP speeds, up and down?

What is special about the 80% you 'need' for your 3 main devices? What actual use are they put through?

You may consider using the RT-AC86U with RMerlin firmware on it to be able to use CakeQoS, or FlexQoS, depending on which works better for your expectations.

The goal should be that your 3 main devices aren't affected by the other devices' use of the ISP pipe. A percentage can rarely achieve that.

As I said, there are many ways to attack this. You may even consider putting the GT-AX11000 as an AiMesh node (or make it an AiMesh AP), too, so that it benefits from the better QoS RMerlin firmware offers.

With so few details you offer, it is hard to be more specific (and even the above attempts at giving some ideas depend on the answers to the questions above).

Btw, I don't have time to watch a video. Just give the pertinent info it contains in point form within a post. :)

ISP speeds 240down 20up

I use 2 of the 3 PCS to stream and upload videos on regular bases, while streaming I need to make sure nothing will slow down the speed of x PC but at same time while uploading I can't have one of the 3 PCs crushing the entire internet by using all 20mb upload. The goal would be for two of the three pcs to have 9mb separated for them and one of the three with 7mb, the rest goes to all other devices.

I would definitely consider using the RT-AC86U, hell I don't mind returning the GT-AX11000 if I have peace with the network. I am just very new for scripts on routers, not sure on what can be done with it in terms of bandwidth control.

I appreciate your help with these btw.

In regards the video, it is a 2min video come onnn, recorded direct to the point as I could. =)

Did you reboot the routers after setting up QoS rules?

Seems the setting do not take affect sometimes until you reboot.

Hi Kev, I did reboot via painel and by pressing the power button on the back of the router, on different occasions as well.

It seems like the settings took a huge effect on download at the test right after applying the new settings. :oops:

Thanks for the added info. (Also, in two minutes, I can be around the world and back - I really don't like the time video wastes).

You definitely need QoS with your setup. Percentages won't help keep it responsive, IMO.

I suggest you flash RMerlin firmware on the RT-AC86U first (see link below).

Download | Asuswrt-Merlin (asuswrt-merlin.net)

After you have completed the above, follow the steps in the M&M Config and/or the New M&M 2020 link below to get your router properly setup to use the new firmware you've just flashed.

L&LD | SmallNetBuilder Forums

New M&M 2020

After successfully resetting the router and using the suggested defaults, follow the link below to get amtm and scripts going on your router.

amtm Step-by-Step https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-step-by-step-install-guide-l-ld.56237/#post-483421

Just remember that you don't need to 'install' amtm anymore. It's 'built-in' to RMerlin firmware since version 384.15_0.

After you have completed the above, you will be able to install the scripts you're interested in very easily.

Take your time (you do have two routers to 'play' with, after all) and ask any questions as necessary.

Thanks for the added info. (Also, in two minutes, I can be around the world and back - I really don't like the time video wastes).

You definitely need QoS with your setup. Percentages won't help keep it responsive, IMO.

I suggest you flash RMerlin firmware on the RT-AC86U first (see link below).

Download | Asuswrt-Merlin (asuswrt-merlin.net)

After you have completed the above, follow the steps in the M&M Config and/or the New M&M 2020 link below to get your router properly setup to use the new firmware you've just flashed.

L&LD | SmallNetBuilder Forums

New M&M 2020

After successfully resetting the router and using the suggested defaults, follow the link below to get amtm and scripts going on your router.

amtm Step-by-Step https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-step-by-step-install-guide-l-ld.56237/#post-483421

Just remember that you don't need to 'install' amtm anymore. It's 'built-in' to RMerlin firmware since version 384.15_0.

After you have completed the above, you will be able to install the scripts you're interested in very easily.

Take your time (you do have two routers to 'play' with, after all) and ask any questions as necessary.

Alright thanks

AllI need now is to install the scripts and see how it actually works.

Adaptive QOS Auto is shot for me with Merlin. It was so nice not having to be a rocket scientist to go through other methods. I needed merlin for VPN selective items more than anything. Arlo will not use VPN period on stock firmware. Lots of errors too so I adjusted logs view not to see them. Done everything right. Everything working ok except I have VOIP issues with or without QOS on merlin. Getting 220 Mbps via Surfshark so that is not the issue.

Just a follow up on this,

Since I've made this post I have exchanged over 10 emails with Asus tech support, and they have identified the issue that I have mentioned on the video and told me it was going to be fixed with the release of the next firmware, which is the version 3.0.0.4.386.41700 .

I have updated my firmware to it and puff the problem was gone, have been on it since 01/20/2020 with the exact same settings I have explained and yet no issues. The rules now are followed as expected.

Wanted to give a feedback just in case someone runs into it.

Another update on this,

If you have a VPN ON, the OP glitch happens and all devices follow the LOW category just like before, so atm in order for the priorities to work fine you can't have VPN on.
Side note If you have VPN ON and add a device to exception list that device will follow the rules but anyone not in the list wont and will just follow the LOW priority rule.

I've just emailed Asus about it and lets hope they fix it as well.

Cheers

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!