What's new

Traffic Analyzer- Statistics is cutting about 50% Internet speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Damit1

Hi there

In the last few days I acknowledged that whenever I enable any TrendMicro feature (like any kind of statistics) it cuts my internet speed in 30-60%.
Anyone knows why?

I mean-
From 460-660Mb on integrated speedtest on the router when any TrendMicro feature is enabled.
To 660-940Mbps when any TrendMicro feature is on.
It is a nice to have feature, but not on the broadband expense.

Thank you

Measure the actual throughput to wired client. Built-in speed test is not accurate.
It gives a nice estimate when it works OK.

In the last few days I acknowledged that whenever I enable any TrendMicro feature (like any kind of statistics) it cuts my internet speed in 30-60%.
Anyone knows why?

I mean-
From 460-660Mb on integrated speedtest on the router when any TrendMicro feature is enabled.
May want to post your router model, firmware version and broadband speed to give others context.

If one previously had AiProtection (TrendMicro) enabled but have disabled it, make sure to "withdraw" from it as well by accessing the GUI and going to Administration > Privacy and click the Withdraw button if it is present.

Generally the router firmware's internet SpeedTest feature is hit or miss for some. There are various other posts/threads indicating people reporting the router's internet SpeedTest showing half of their advertised broadband speed. For example, on a 500/500 Mbps broadband line with a RT-AC68U running Asus-Merlin 386.7_2, with AiProtection off and Privacy withdrawn, the GUI SpeedTest always reports roughly half of the advertised broadband speed and roughly half of what a PC wired to the router indicates. Simply put, one should run a SpeedTest from a Gigabit wired PC to verify if the router's SpeedTest is being close to accurate

Router SpeedTest
routerspeedtest.jpg

Wired PC SpeedTest
wiredspeedtest.jpg

While it's known the built-in speed test can be limited by the SOC's CPU performance at very high speeds, even on the older 68U, IMHO, you should not be seeing this specific scenario.

I'd guess that you have some QOS settings getting re-applied once you re-enroll in Trend, or some other nvram variable being used that might, that might not be visible in the interface, be the culprit. I've seen this years ago when I was testing all the QOS options and afterwards things didn't feel right.

Also check that HW Acceleration is on after re-enrolling.

My 86U (yes, faster) is reliably consistent with wired speed test on a client and router at ~600 Down/20 Up. Equally important I watch my CPU charts, and you can see there is still headroom.

Screenshot 2022-09-25 064957.jpg
Screenshot 2022-09-25 065037.jpg

You could always backup, then factory reset and do a simple, minimal config to just retest this scenario.

Good luck

Last edited:
Hi there

Anyone knows why?

I mean-

Thank you

I have an RT-AC1900 (basically the same as the 68U versions that had the 1Ghz processor) and turning on statistics or any aiprotection feature definitely cuts back the performance. However I did notice once after doing a factory reset that the impact was much less, so you may want to consider trying that if you haven't already. Before doing that my 350M internet was limited to about 280 at 100% CPU. After factory reset and reconfigure all the same settings, I was able to push/pull 350 at around 60% CPU. That was on the 384 code base and 386 has similar performance, with both traffic stats and aiprotection enabled. Without those features enabled I get the same speed (since that's my internet speed) but CPU is more in the 30-40% range.

You could always backup, then factory reset and do a simple, minimal config to just retest this scenario.
In my case, even using the stock Asus firmware for a RT-AC68U, that's been hard (WPS) reset with initial Quick Internet Setup, it shows the same approx half speed versus a wired PC on a 500/500 fiber line. Router connected direct to ONT. The router does pretty much max the CPU (both of them) to 100% when running the GUI speedtest. When the speedtest is run from a wired PC the router CPU usage is under 10%. Shrugs. I pretty much just ignore the GUI's speedtest since something seems borked with it. Only time I ever saw the GUI speedtest report close to accurate results was when using a slow speed 7/1 DSL line.

092622_AsusFirmwareStockHardResetSpeedTest.jpg

092622_PCSpeedTest.jpg

I got the AX88U so it has good hardware.
I pay for my ISP for 1000/100Mbps on FTTH line.
That is what is familiar here , that is or 1000/250Mbps.
That is the line once Any TrendMicro feature is being used.

The cpu is barely hit.
Once you speed test- with or without TrendMicro on its maximum it gets to roughly 20% as a peak, on 1 core, for a few seconds.

That is the results with TrendMicro turned off.
1664206848817.png

On the other hand, once any Trend Micro feature is turned on- whether is Web History or Traffic Analyzer statistics (which in both I have been using for last 2 yrs)- it cuts my broadband to half

In my case, even using the stock Asus firmware for a RT-AC68U, that's been hard (WPS) reset with initial Quick Internet Setup, it shows the same approx half speed versus a wired PC on a 500/500 fiber line. Router connected direct to ONT. The router does pretty much max the CPU (both of them) to 100% when running the GUI speedtest. When the speedtest is run from a wired PC the router CPU usage is under 10%. Shrugs. I pretty much just ignore the GUI's speedtest since something seems borked with it. Only time I ever saw the GUI speedtest report close to accurate results was when using a slow speed 7/1 DSL line.

View attachment 44409

View attachment 44410
Generating all those packets takes a lot of CPU. The CPU in your computer is a lot more powerful, but even then if you watch the CPU on your PC during a speed test it will spike up.

68u probably won't be able to max out a speed test regardless of what is enabled/disabled especially since it only uses 1 core for speed test. Best to test from a wired PC.

I got the AX88U so it has good hardware.
I pay for my ISP for 1000/100Mbps on FTTH line.
That is what is familiar here , that is or 1000/250Mbps.
That is the line once Any TrendMicro feature is being used.

The cpu is barely hit.
Once you speed test- with or without TrendMicro on its maximum it gets to roughly 20% as a peak, on 1 core, for a few seconds.

That is the results with TrendMicro turned off.
View attachment 44411

On the other hand, once any Trend Micro feature is turned on- whether is Web History or Traffic Analyzer statistics (which in both I have been using for last 2 yrs)- it cuts my broadband to half

Test from a wired PC rather than the router speed test. Do you get full speed?

Test from a wired PC rather than the router speed test. Do you get full speed?

Thats for sure. Tried to understand what makes any TrendMicro feature to cut 50% broadband.

Thats for sure. Tried to understand what makes any TrendMicro feature to cut 50% broadband.
Those features are processed (at least partially) in software rather than hardware, so they are heavy CPU users. Basically defeating some of the benefits of hardware acceleration.