What's new

Traffic Monitor incorrect data

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CivHunter

Occasional Visitor
I have traffic per IP enabled. On the Traffic Monitor real time graphs I am seeing something odd. The WAN, 2.4ghz, and 5ghz seem to be working normally. The WIRED tab however is showing a combination of up/load download of both my wired devices and devices on 5ghz. I have done a full router reset and I am running the latest Merlin firmware 376.49_5 on my RT-AC87R. I have also noticed that my global total monthly useage is lower than my per device sub net total monthly useage. I reset the data file after resetting the router and right now the global is at .17GB total up/down and the per device sub net total is .30GB. Any ideas? It does not matter what browser I look at the router with, IE, Chrome, Firefox.

no change with 378.50 beta1

Still seeing wired and 2.4ghz traffic normally but any traffic on 5ghz band shows up on its own trend plus it gets summed with wired traffic on the wired traffic trend. Anyone else seeing this? I have done complete router resets before and after firmware updates. I do set manually a signed IP addresses for all of my devices.

HW acceleration is disabled automatically because I have per IP traffic monitoring enabled.

I have upgraded the firmware to 378_50_Beta1 and I am still seeing the same behaviors.

Last edited:
I have an AC87U that was running on 378_3885 and noticed those same issues and more. I just switched over to Asuswrt-Merlin 378.50 and some of them have been resolved but there are still the following:

An assortment of functions within Adaptive QoS
o “Bandwidth Monitor” – the two speedometers and progress bars at the device level seldom work ~10% of the time. What works more often are the Apps progress bars but usually they are not working in conjunction with the device level progress bars
o “Bandwidth Monitor” – Only one app “General” appears when opening a device whereas previously multiple apps for each device would display
o “Traffic Monitor – Last 24 Hours” – Missing 5GHz Tab – the others are there Internet, Wired, and 2.4, just no 5.0

Once I switched to Merlin's version the data quantity seems to be more realistic. As far as the other issues, not sure if it is the device or part of the core Asuswrt firmware. I haven't seen many other related posts so I'm thinking either people just don't care or its isolated to a few devices.

I'm also having issues with the 5 GHz WiFi where the signal is very weak when you get more the 15 ft from the router. When I have a signal the throughput is great - nearly the same as a wired connection.

HW acceleration is disabled automatically because I have per IP traffic monitoring enabled.

I have upgraded the firmware to 378_50_Beta1 and I am still seeing the same behaviors.

I would recommend that you test the final version, not the beta.

My experience is similar. My traffic monitor stats are meaningless for daily WAN and last 24-hour WAN, as all of my local LAN traffic is being included in the WAN counts (e.g., when backing up a computer to my NAS, the traffic transmitted to the NAS is being counted in my WAN traffic as upload).

There is a warning that if Adaptive QoS is enabled that it could affect (negatively) the wired stats in the traffic monitor. However shutting off all the TrendNet stuff and rebooting and waiting for a couple of days did not change the behavior in my case.

I'm using Merlin's 378.50 final build on a RT-AC87U.

Here my experience is the same as you...

The Speedometers are not showing the inbound and outbound internet traffic at all.
The Adaptive QoS is not showing LAN or WAN usage on each device.

And I'm concern if using the "Smart QoS" will really work, because it cannot identify Apps (and the help provided by ASUS says so) if the traffic is encrypted, so it'll be considered general traffic.

I would like to know if there's any way to fix this or just wait for ASUS to resolve it.

I've already reported it to ASUS, but I don't know

Thanks for the replies. L&LD I should have stated more clearly, I too am using the final build of 378.50 on my AC87U.

When contacting ASUS their answer was simply to roll back firmware to previous versions until I found one that worked. It does not appear that at least those tending to the helpdesk calls have any interest in solving the problem and it is a monumental task to get them to escalate. After explaining this condition to them on four separate attempts, they put me on hold for about 10 minutes to "research" a solution and in each case disconnected the call. In the end I doubt it will go anywhere - this is why I am now using 378.50

sentinelvdx it's funny you mention about "general traffic" because now that is the only "App" which shows under any device I click on - there is no longer a list of component apps under a device - this is a new issue.

I have also found on the Asuswrt version of the firmware the bandwidth was rarely accurate and in the case of wired almost non-existent. In one case we have 3 PS4s download some large games 5+ GB files each and the bandwidth monitor registered in the low KB range - not close to the 15+GB that actually came down.

Does anyone find that the traffic monitors and bandwidth tracking work consistently for you and if so what model and f/w version are you using... again wondering if I have some bad hardware.

Thanks for the replies. L&LD I should have stated more clearly, I too am using the final build of 378.50 on my AC87U.

When contacting ASUS their answer was simply to roll back firmware to previous versions until I found one that worked. It does not appear that at least those tending to the helpdesk calls have any interest in solving the problem and it is a monumental task to get them to escalate. After explaining this condition to them on four separate attempts, they put me on hold for about 10 minutes to "research" a solution and in each case disconnected the call. In the end I doubt it will go anywhere - this is why I am now using 378.50

sentinelvdx it's funny you mention about "general traffic" because now that is the only "App" which shows under any device I click on - there is no longer a list of component apps under a device - this is a new issue.

I have also found on the Asuswrt version of the firmware the bandwidth was rarely accurate and in the case of wired almost non-existent. In one case we have 3 PS4s download some large games 5+ GB files each and the bandwidth monitor registered in the low KB range - not close to the 15+GB that actually came down.

Does anyone find that the traffic monitors and bandwidth tracking work consistently for you and if so what model and f/w version are you using... again wondering if I have some bad hardware.

I have tried all official ASUS firm versions a none of it has the speedometers, Adaptive QoS meters, or web traffic history working.
With Merlin's at least the ones I've tested it didn't work either.
I think it's on ASUS side to make it work.

Plus, off the record I received the information they are going to implement the Traffic Analyzer from RT-AC3200 to RT-AC87U and others. But don't know how it's going to work if encrypted traffic is considered as general...
http://i.imgur.com/mjoK2Zi.png

My traffic monitor stats are meaningless for daily WAN and last 12-hour WAN
o.png

I hope they fix it asap. It's really useful to monitor traffic here. In fact I love statistics and metrics :p

Again, running the final version of 378.50 on my AC87U...

I notice in the Bandwidth Monitor with "Apps Analysis" turned on I can only see one app per device and it is the same "General App" for each device. Also the progress bar does not work at the Device level but sometimes works at the "General App" level when opened.

One thing I noticed however which may have an easy fix... it appears the icons for the other apps are missing as I get a list of errors with the following description:

GET https://x.asuscomm.com:port/images/New_ui/app_icons/0-0-0.png 404 (Not Found)
0-0-0.png:1

I also get a jquery error:

jquery.js:5 GET https://x.asuscomm.com:port/getTraffic.asp?client=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx&_=9999999999999 net::ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

Does anyone else get this ?

I'm not sure what's going on with Apps Analysis. Even both Asus's newest and my previous firmwares now result in everything classified as General these past few days, while it was working fine previously. Makes me wonder if something might be going on with the signature updates downloaded by the router.

I know that one Russian developer did create quite a stir last week by running the DPI engine on an unauthorized device (a Huawei router). I hope this didn't lead to a tight lockdown by Trend Micro, cause I'd sure be unhappy...

My experience is similar. My traffic monitor stats are meaningless for daily WAN and last 24-hour WAN, as all of my local LAN traffic is being included in the WAN counts (e.g., when backing up a computer to my NAS, the traffic transmitted to the NAS is being counted in my WAN traffic as upload).

There is a warning that if Adaptive QoS is enabled that it could affect (negatively) the wired stats in the traffic monitor. However shutting off all the TrendNet stuff and rebooting and waiting for a couple of days did not change the behavior in my case.

I'm using Merlin's 378.50 final build on a RT-AC87U.

Hi, I have just ran into this issue.
When i have 2 computers connected with a cable, and i start copying something between the 2, it shows up under internet, and the wired section in traffic manager show no activity at all.
wifi and internet monitor works fine but LAN show up at WAN and it messes up my stats.
I just went over my 300GB limit at comcast and i wanted to figure out what device used the most data.
Since i noticed this problem the whole system log is incorrect.
Any updates on this, or anyone having the same problem?
I am worried that my LAN data shows up on comcast usage since it shows up under internet in the routers log...
I know it sounds impossible, but other than that i see no more than 2GB of data/day of real internet...

I am worried that my LAN data shows up on comcast usage since it shows up under internet in the routers log...
I know it sounds impossible, but other than that i see no more than 2GB of data/day of real internet...

The traffic statistics are definitely wrong as they include LAN to LAN traffic, but the LAN to LAN traffic is not going out on the WAN port, so it won't be counted aginst your usage cap by Comcast.

When I check my usage at the ISP, it still makes sense, even if the router is wrong.