What's new

Traffic Monitoring and USB drive issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Michael Wells

New Around Here
Using an ASUS RT-AX88u with Merlin 386.1. Not able to figure out why I am not seeing any traffic monitoring file written to my USB drive, even though it is formatted as NTFS and mounted. When browsing the drive there is nothing on it. I am also not figuring out how the traffic statistics are reset if I have set the monthly cycle on a specific day of the month.

Under tools->other settings, what do you have for traffic history location and the save history location? Assuming you are wanting to save to the usb drive, the traffic location should be "custom" and save history location will be pointing somewhere on your USB drive.

Also, have you reset/initialized the file by selecting yes for create or reset data file and hitting apply?

The path should be /mnt/sda/

I am assuming you have already ssh I to the router and confirmed that the sda directory is being created (mounted) ok.

Yes, when I ssh, i can seen the rstats file in the /tmp/mnt/sda directory. Is this on the USB drive that i have mounted, or in the routers internal memory....because when I browse the usb drive using windows file manager i dont see any files on it ?

When you say browse, you are referring to the network share on the router that you are browsing from windows - right?

Yes, /tmp/mnt/sda is your usb key (use the mount command and you will the mount point)

The router sets up any directories in /mnt/sda as shares. Since the rstat file is not in a subdirectory on the USB key, then it won't show up on any share.

Make a directory (say "traffic") in /tmp/mnt/sda. In Samba setup, make the "traffic" share at least readable. You may have to reboot the router to restart Samba (or use scMerlin or restart_smbd from an ssh command prompt)

Then change the file location for the traffic monitoring to "/mnt/sda/traffic/" (/mnt is a symbolic link to /tmp/mnt so you can use either /tmp/mnt/sda/traffic/ or /mnt/sda/traffic/).

Got it....So now how do I show the cumulative monthly data usage if my monthly cycle starts on the 8th of each month. When I check daily or weekly, i can see the stats for days and weeks prior to the 8th.

It is a quirk in the gui, the monthly stats won't show until at least one full cycle has passed (month to month).

You can always use MS Excel to read the rstat file.