What's new

Transfer speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RAID5 speed is based on how fast the hardware is. Faster spinning drives and controller card and CPU speed all play a part in the speed of a RAID5. The more the number of hard drives the faster the RAID5 is. An 8 or 10 drive RAID5 is faster than a 4 drive RAID5. I always match my hard drives in a RAID. I would never run mismatched drives.

The more the number of hard drives the faster the RAID5 is. An 8 or 10 drive RAID5 is faster than a 4 drive RAID5. I always match my hard drives in a RAID. I would never run mismatched drives.
Only when talking about read speeds. You seem to have missed the point of this thread which is discussing write speeds.

EDIT: Sorry, I misread/misinterpreted your post.

Last edited:
Only when talking about read speeds. You seem to have missed the point of this thread which is discussing write speeds.
It applies to writes as well. You have more drives running parallel so they will write faster. With more drives there is less data to write per drive. The RAID5 data stripe is written across all drives including the parity drive. I think you don't understand.

The only speed difference is calculating parity and writing parity in a RAID5. With reads you do not need to do that unless you have a failed drive.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!