What's new

Transfer WRT-Merlin Configuration from RT-AC88U to RT-AX58U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

woodb01

New Around Here
I have 2 very good RT-AC88U routers but the 5G range is not the best. They work reasonably well but I am upgrading to an RT-AX58U as the main router. I will be turning the other 2 routers into AIMesh routers. My question is, as long as both routers are on the same firmware (I'm running WRT-Merlin), can I just export the configuration file from the existing base router and then import it into the new AX router? Will it just transfer the settings from one to the other without having to set it up all over?

can I just export the configuration file from the existing base router and then import it into the new AX router?

No. You have to configure the new router manually.

I am upgrading to an RT-AX58U

Not much of upgrade. Your AC88U routers have 4-stream radios, AX58U has 2-stream. What is now common AC 2-stream client will have no speed improvements whatsoever. If you have AX 2-stream clients, they may eventually get ~40% faster connection (866Mbps vs 1200Mbps link speeds). Don't count on 160MHz wide channels. I wouldn't "upgrade" AC88U with AX58U.

No. You have to configure the new router manually.

Not much of upgrade. Your AC88U routers have 4-stream radios, AX58U has 2-stream. What is now common AC 2-stream client will have no speed improvements whatsoever. If you have AX 2-stream clients, they may eventually get ~40% faster connection (866Mbps vs 1200Mbps link speeds). Don't count on 160MHz wide channels. I wouldn't "upgrade" AC88U with AX58U.
Thanks for the insight. I have a fairly large area to cover and am looking for something to provide a bit more distance. Would I be better to use the AX as a mesh node so it can reach out further until I decide to get more AX nodes?