What's new

Transmission is crashing the router in Voxel FW when downloading.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mercantigo

New Around Here
Hi guys!
I have r7800 with Voxel firmware.

Recently, I put on it a 4tb hdd, and updated the firmware. A few days later, I noticed that the router started to crash a few minutes after I try to download something in Transmission.

I noticed that Transmission was updated to the last version (2.95), then I downgraded to 2,92. No success, the crashes persisted.

So, I telnet to it and started to investigate, and I noticed that:
- HDD was mounting ok in /mnt/sda2, connected on port usb2
- Transmission wasnt even creating the download folder, but on webgui, shows that was downloading.

So, I figured that if I download something, it will download to an unknown location, even if the download folder is set to /mnt/sda2

BUT if I start the download with the default download folder (/mnt/sda2), and when the download is running _ and only after the download start -, I press "Set Location" on Transmission, and press apply - with "/mnt/sda2" written on the field - the folder immediatelly is created, download runs fine and the router dont crashes.

I need to do this on every torrent. If I forget, sooner the router crashes.

Any ideas to how to solve this?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
BUT if I start the download with the default download folder (/mnt/sda2), and when the download is running _ and only after the download start -, I press "Set Location" on Transmission, and press apply - with "/mnt/sda2" written on the field - the folder immediatelly is created, download runs fine and the router dont crashes.

Your USB disk has several partitions? What is in the first? And what type of the second, /dev/sda2 (ext4/ntfs etc)? I am not sure that NG downloader (used to set the target folder for downloads) works OK in case of many partitions. I'd recommend to use single MBR partition on your USB.

P.S.
It is possible to save your own Transmission config in /etc/transmission. I.e. /etc/transmission/settings.json file. So if you have some time workable config of Transmission you can copy it from /tmp/transmission-gui/ to /etc/transmission/ using telnet. And it should be OK even after reboot.

Voxel.

Well, maybe you just did not set the default path for Transmission in NG Downloader GUI? If you set it in Transmission GUI it will be OK until reboot. To use it permanently use the path set in NG downloader:

upload_2019-12-15_19-38-25.png

Voxel.

Hi Voxel, thanks for your reply.

There's only one partition in HDD. I tried the old HDD, with 1tb, and the same happened.

So, I tried to set the download folder in another folder.Still, the issue persists.

I noticed that everytime I restart the router, all the Transmission downloads gone - as I recall, earlier, they keep. I already tried to downgrade to a lower firmware version, already tried to install the NG default firmware and upgrade again to VOxel's and still, the same.

The Transmission config file in /tmp/transmission-gui (I changed the usb port, so this is why "sda1"):

Any clues?

Last edited:
There's only one partition in HDD.
1. I have doubts that only one partition. Note: some vendors (USB HDD) use their own small hidden partition. Linux recognizes your partition as second.

What is a result of

Code:
ls -al /dev/sda* /dev/sdb*

(I changed the usb port, so this is why "sda1")
2. If your change the port time-to-time it may confuse NG Downloader and Transmission.

What is a result of command

Code:
nvram get green_download_path

Well. Better to re-partition your HDD to have really single partition.

Voxel.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!