What's new

Trednet 2.5 NIC issues?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chris313AllNight

Regular Contributor
I installed a Trendnet 2.5 Nic into my rig today, replacing a Gig nic I had in there for years. It detects it hardware wise, but it's acting like I have no internet. What do I do to get this going? I installed both the driver from the disk and a downloaded driver from the site. Neither worked. I'm on a W7 rig, btw. Still says it's compatible.

Last edited:
Is it an RTL chip? I have issues with those on Linux and have to do some magic to get them to work. However I have a sabrent dongle that doesn't need any intervention on either windows or Linux.

Is it an RTL chip? I have issues with those on Linux and have to do some magic to get them to work. However I have a sabrent dongle that doesn't need any intervention on either windows or Linux.
Yeah, Realtek chip. Any thoughts?

Had something to do with my switch not working. Made sure everything was plugged in and presto, stuff starts working

Last edited:
Hmm.. I would contemplate switching to something based on either Intel or Aquantia if it's having a fit. Maybe even BCM depending on the price.

RTL8125 - this is the onboard I'm dealing with on my Z690 setup that works fine if blacklist the module and force it to use a different version. There's just something not right with it and I'm sure Windows would pick it up with a generic driver that half butt works to just get online to perform updates.

Hmm.. I would contemplate switching to something based on either Intel or Aquantia if it's having a fit. Maybe even BCM depending on the price.

RTL8125 - this is the onboard I'm dealing with on my Z690 setup that works fine if blacklist the module and force it to use a different version. There's just something not right with it and I'm sure Windows would pick it up with a generic driver that half butt works to just get online to perform updates.
Turns out that the problem was my switch, note that my computers and other things are plugged into this switch. No switch, a lot of things don't get internet. I believe the Trendnet nic that I have installed now was working the whole time, but it wasn't getting connection because my switch, which was recently moved, had gotten unplugged just enough to cause a problem. I didn't notice this until I really took a look and saw no lights coming from the switch. I was tired at that point and I guess my brain had already gone to sleep. But I will monitor things and if Trendnet's Realtek stuff doesn't play, I'll consider your suggestion. Hell, the NIC this replaces was a Broadcom NetExtreme 1G card. I've used the brand from 2006 to now and have had very little issue with it.