What's new

News TRENDnet announces more affordable 5 and 8 port 2.5GbE Switches

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
trendnet_25g_switches.png

Both are unmanaged in metal cases.

8-Port Unmanaged 2.5G Switch, TEG-S380
5-Port Unmanaged 2.5G Switch, TEG-S350

It's starting to get there. I'm waiting for price drops before I can upgrade my own LAN to move to 2.5Gbps.

If you're waiting for 1GbE prices, you're gonna wait forever! :)

Until now, just getting two 2.5 Gbps ports on a switch was 200-250$ CAD. These two new switches are a big step forward.

Until now, just getting two 2.5 Gbps ports on a switch was 200-250$ CAD. These two new switches are a big step forward.
tckTICy.jpg

FWIW: Noticeable LAN speed increase using RT-AX86U running your firmware thru XGS1210-12 which has dual 2.5Gbps & 10G SFP+(not currently using) and is also managed (possible firmware updates) for not much more than those trendnets...

Which is preferable at the same price point; the Netgear GS110MX or the TRENDnet TEG-S380?

$25 bucks a port - the 8 port device seems to be a good value there...

I wouldn't do the 5-port one, one will always need one more port...

Nice to see prices come down a bit.

Which is preferable at the same price point; the Netgear GS110MX or the TRENDnet TEG-S380?

not really comparable - one is 8 * 2.5gbe ports, the other 2 * multigig (10/5/2.5) ports plus 8 * 1gbe ports, so 'prerferable' comes down to both how many 2.5gbe clients and whether you could actually use faster ports than 2.5gbe

There's also the qnap m2108-2c with 8 * 2.5gbe ports and 2 multigig ports (combo rj45/sfp+) at about the same price as the gs110emx just to further confuse things....

Good to finally see pricing come in line with switches as 2.5Gbps starts to become the normal on motherboards and 5/10Gbps following not that far behind these days. Last piece of the puzzle was the switches. Waiting on a managaged switch to hit the sweet spot, but I could see picking up an unmanaged switch in the short term with those prices. Even cable modems are moving to 2.5Gbps Ethernet connections. This is good news.

While we are discussing cheaper 2.5GbE switches, are the TP-Link TL-SG105-M2 and TL-SG108-M2 new models?
Wifi-stock (based in Lithuania) has them listed for $89+VAT (5-port) and $137+VAT (8-port)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!