What's new

GT-AXE16000 - can 10 Gbit ports also connect at 1, 2.5, and 5 Gbit?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DamonF

New Around Here
Hello All,

I just want to confirm that the two 10 Gbit ports on the ASUS GT-AXE16000 can also fall back to 5, 2.5, or 1 Gbit and are not "10 gigabit or nothing". Can someone please confirm?

Planned wired layout:
  • Fiber modem coming into the 1 / 2.5 Gbit WAN port
  • Mac Studio plugged into 1 of the 10 Gbit ports
  • A Zyxel MG-108 or TRENDnet TEG-S380 8 port 2.5 Gbit unmanaged switch plugged into the other 10 Gbit port
  • Various 1 Gbit and 100 Mbit devices plugged into the 4 Gbit ports (or otherwise left vacant)
I just want to be sure a 2.5 Gbit switch will really connect at 2.5 Gbit to a 10 Gbit port on the router (and yes I've read about disabling several of the router's features for maximum throughput). I plan to run 2.5 Gbit and 1 Gbit devices off the 8 port switch. Comments on Zyxel vs TRENDnet would also be welcome, there's only a $10 difference on Amazon.

My alternative if "only 10 Gbit" would be the 10-port Netgear GS110MX 8x1 Gbit, 2x10 Gbit switch, but with that I'd only be able to connect a single > 1 Gbit device (as the other port would provide the 10 Gbit backhaul to the GT-AXE16000). I currently have at least two 2.5 Gbit devices, so one of them would have to be relegated to a 1 Gbit port on the Netgear. That's why I'm leaning more toward one of the 8-port 2.5 Gbits mentioned above.

Thanks!

I just want to confirm that the two 10 Gbit ports on the ASUS GT-AXE16000 can also fall back to 5, 2.5, or 1 Gbit and are not "10 gigabit or nothing". Can someone please confirm?
Yes.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!