What's new

TRENDnet Introduces 2.5 GbE and 5 GbE USB-C 3.1 Adapters

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Julio Urquidi

News Editor
trendnet-usb-c-multi-gigabit.jpg
TRENDnet’s two new multi-gigabit USB-C 3.1 adapters are the TUC-ET2G and TUC-ET5G, each supporting up to 2.5 Gbps and 5 Gbps, respectively.

The new low-profile adapters don’t require any external power, connecting customers’ computers to faster networks via an integrated 4.9 inch USB-C 3.1 cable, and are compatible with both Mac and Windows computers. Other notes about the TUC-ET2G and TUC-ET5G include they support 802.1p (CoS) and 802.1Q (VLAN) and are compatible with Cat5e or better cabling.

The TRENDnet TUC-ET2G USB-C 3.1 to 2.5GBASE-T Ethernet Adapter is available now for $59.99 MSRP, while the TUC-ET5G USB-C 3.1 to 5GBASE-T Ethernet Adapter will be available in early June for $124.99.

Last edited:
That is really expensive when you consider the pricing of currently available 10GbE adapters such as the ASUS XG-C100C 10G, which is already insanely overpriced.

Making something use USB-C should not increase the price that much, especially since we have USB-C multi-card readers that sell for well under $20. (different tech but it shows that there is no weird license fee or other junk)

Seems Trendnet also makes a 10GbE adapter for $115.

I'm guessing they're using different chipsets. Realtek in the 2.5Gbps one and Aquantia in the 5Gbps one, hence the massive price difference.
The design of the 5Gbps adapter is horrible, why not make the housing slightly bigger, unless they somehow are using the RJ45 housing as a heat dissipator.
These don't need a bridge chip though, unlike QNAP's QNA-T310G1T which is a PCIe chip connected to a Thunderbolt bridge. Still, those are "only" $189.99 in comparison.
Right now, Trendnet doesn't have any real competition as well, so I guess they're trying to cash in on that.
Club3D announced some 2.5Gbps USB adapters (USB-A and USB-C), which is on sale for £39.98 (£4 less for the USB-A version) in the UK, i.e. similar money - https://www.scan.co.uk/products/clu...to-rj45-ethernet-25gbps-bandwidth-usb-powered

wow, trend really blew past a huge market of ethernet+power.in to ethernet+power.out adapters used by various streaming devices.
just an example (not an endorsement) https://www.ebay.com/itm//123528943424
there are tons of them under $10 each, but they are all 10/100 speed which may be enough for most streaming, but still...

wow, trend really blew past a huge market of ethernet+power.in to ethernet+power.out adapters used by various streaming devices.
just an example (not an endorsement) https://www.ebay.com/itm//123528943424
there are tons of them under $10 each, but they are all 10/100 speed which may be enough for most streaming, but still...

What would be the point of adding 2.5Gbps or faster Ethernet to such a device? These are intended for notebooks, especially notebooks without Ethernet ports.

Just what I was looking for, but not in the usb connector or the price I was looking for. Bummer. :(

I have tested both adapters and want to share my experience.

The 2.5GBE with Realtek chip runs perfectly. No interruptions, no crashes - and the full speed (of about 290 megabyte per second).

Different experience with the 5GBE with Aquantia chip: crashes under Windows 10 in various ways (tested on different machines) - just the same way like the 10GBE adapters with Aquantia chip. So no matter if USB 3.1 or Thunderbolt - something is wrong with the Aquantia drivers. Very wrong. So I would advise to keep your hands off.

Regards speeds: with the 10GBE I was able to really reach 1000 megabyte per second (ramdisk to ramdisk). Man! However, with the 5GBE for an unknown reason, though running at a USB 3.1 Gen 2 port, I got only 390 megabyte which is just a little more than with the 2.5GBE adapter. Just another reason to skip the 5GBE Adapter.

So I am happy with the 2.5GBE adapter and can recommend it. And I advise to wait until for example Realtek will relase a chip for 5GBE. I guess there is a reason why they do not yet support ethernet adapters beyond 2.5GBE.

I have tested both adapters and want to share my experience.

The 2.5GBE with Realtek chip runs perfectly. No interruptions, no crashes - and the full speed (of about 290 megabyte per second).

Different experience with the 5GBE with Aquantia chip: crashes under Windows 10 in various ways (tested on different machines) - just the same way like the 10GBE adapters with Aquantia chip. So no matter if USB 3.1 or Thunderbolt - something is wrong with the Aquantia drivers. Very wrong. So I would advise to keep your hands off.

Regards speeds: with the 10GBE I was able to really reach 1000 megabyte per second (ramdisk to ramdisk). Man! However, with the 5GBE for an unknown reason, though running at a USB 3.1 Gen 2 port, I got only 390 megabyte which is just a little more than with the 2.5GBE adapter. Just another reason to skip the 5GBE Adapter.

So I am happy with the 2.5GBE adapter and can recommend it. And I advise to wait until for example Realtek will relase a chip for 5GBE. I guess there is a reason why they do not yet support ethernet adapters beyond 2.5GBE.

I think you got some other issues if your Aquantia hardware is giving you problems, as my cards have worked flawlessly for the last year and a half. Yes, they had some firmware issues initially, but that was only very early on. I'd suggest updating your firmware if you still have the hardware.

As for why only 2.5Gbps, because it's 1. compatible with Cat 5e so you don't need new cabling 2. because the chips are running cooler 3. and also easier to make in a small chip size, like the Realtek chips.

Killer has a 2.5Gbps product coming soon, which is based on Intel hardware, which is also coming soon.
I don't know of anyone beyond Aquantia working on 5Gbps chips right now.

Well, I have 4 identical computers unfortunately. But next week I should receive a new one and then I will test again.

All firmware is up to date, same as the drivers. For the tests I used Cat.7 cables.

I wanted to add, that my identical computers use this mainboard: https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITXac/index.de.asp

As you see it is a Mini-ITX with a 35 watts processor. The computer is fast as hell and is able through the Thunderbolt Port to really reach the 1 Gigabyte per second with the 10 Gigabit-Adapter. But as I said, it crashes nonstop with it.#

The mainboard in my new computer will be this: https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z390M-ITXac/index.asp

It does not have a thunderbolt port but only a USB 3.1 Gen 2 port. So I will not be able to use the 10 Gbit Thunderbolt adapters - but maybe the USB 3.1 adapters will no longer crash.

Odd, but it sounds like it's a Thunderbolt issue. It might be something funny going on in the bridging. There are no USB based 10Gbps adapters afaik, 5Gbps is as fast as it gets for now.

Before receiveing my new computer (which has "only" USB 3.1 and no Thunderbolt) I ordered a USB-C/USB-A Adapter so I can connect the Trendnet GBE to my current mainboard but through the USB-A port. Since the adapter IS only USB 3.1 Gen 1, it will be the same speed. And maybe then it will not crash.

Still the 5GBE does not really give that much extra speed because of the limitation of the USB 3.1 Gen 1. It is 5GBE in theory but you will get just aboutt 460 Megabyte per second to a connected SSD and ... as it seems ... only 390 Megabyte per second through the network adpaters (while through the 2.5GBE I get already 290 Megabyte). So, yeah, it's 100 Megabyte more per second but unfortunately not more than that.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!