What's new

Trendnet Introduces Its New Line Of 10 Gigabit Switches

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Urquidi

News Editor
Last November, TRENDnet launched itself into the 10 Gigabit world with the introduction of its line of fiber SFP+ modules. Now the company released the first two of its new line of 10 GbE switches, aiming the cost effective product line at small and medium business.

Trendnet10gswitches.jpg

First, the TEG-40128 is a 12-port 10 GbE smart switch that has eight 10 GbE ports, two 10 Gbps SFP+ slots and two 10 GBASE-T/10G SFP+ ports.

The second switch is the 28-port TEG-30284 smart switch, which has twenty-four GbE ports and four SFP+ ports.

Noted features for the new switches include VLAN, IGMP snooping, QoS, RMON, SNMP traps and syslog capability, and web-based management.

Available now through authorized TRENDnet vendors, the 12-port TEG-40128 retails for $1849, while the 28-port TEG-30284 retails for $399.

It seems they still havent gotten the 8 port 10Gb/s switch to below $1000 yet. I wonder if 10Gb/s switches will ever cost the price that a 1Gb/s switch costs now.

It seems they still havent gotten the 8 port 10Gb/s switch to below $1000 yet. I wonder if 10Gb/s switches will ever cost the price that a 1Gb/s switch costs now.

Below $1000? How about below $100? There is nothing but greed that is stopping them from producing such a product. It doesn't need to be managed. It just needs to perform.

Really? Do you have 10GbE chipset pricing you can share?

No, I do not. But I do know how corporations operate. They keep the price(s) at a point where they will maximize (today's) profits. Not where it most benefits their customers.

If they priced them even at $200 for an unmanaged, 8 port 10GbE product, they would still be making a killing and would not be able to keep up with the demand for a very long time.

Without any parts cost data to back you up, you're just blowing smoke, L&LD

Waiting for a moderator edit :D

The prices seem high but that is also what free market pricing is all about, right?

Without any parts cost data to back you up, you're just blowing smoke, L&LD

No, I'm not. Maximum profit for a manufacturer and maximum units sold are two different things. Manufacturers don't do what's best for customers. They do what's best for their investors.

As for the parts cost, if a manufacturer is expecting to sell 100,000 units at XXXX price, they will accordingly need to pay XX cost per port. If they expect to sell 10,000,000 units at XX price, they will pay X cost per port. The difference is that they expect to sell those 100,000 units faster than they will the 10,000,000 units, and their (current) profits will show better on the P&L than making more total cash over an extended time frame will.

Parts costs is not written in stone. It is a negotiable, just like anything else in the supply chain.

No, I'm not. Maximum profit for a manufacturer and maximum units sold are two different things. Manufacturers don't do what's best for customers. They do what's best for their investors.
I don't need a lesson on product pricing, thanks. What I'm asking for is DATA to back up your claims of exhorbitant 10GbE switch pricing. You have none.

I don't need a lesson on product pricing, thanks. What I'm asking for is DATA to back up your claims of exhorbitant 10GbE switch pricing. You have none.

That wasn't a lesson. Just a fact.

I don't know anyone else that would look at a 12 Port 10GbE switch for $1849 and think they were getting a deal. If this was two or four times the ports and half the price for 10GbE performance, maybe it would be tempting (for some). Everyone else is looking at this and saying '10GbE? I don't need it today'. And they won't 'need' it ever, at those highway robbery prices.

When a 24 Port unmanaged GbE switch (DGS-1024A) can be had for less than $100 (just over $4 a port) and still make money for the company, that is my basis that 10GbE switch pricing is in the realm of the greedy and insane.

With a price tag that is 10x more ($1,000), I think not only would a 24 Port or larger 10GbE unmanaged switch be viable for any competent manufacturer, it will also move the whole world into 10GbE networking that much faster. DATA isn't needed to see that, it is common sense, imo.

Furthermore, any DATA that is presented today isn't relevant either. As I have stated above, the cost of the components will drop significantly when (and if) the scale of production ramps up as I want it too. And Price is what will drive that production increase, not greed on the manufacturers part.

Below $1000? How about below $100? There is nothing but greed that is stopping them from producing such a product. It doesn't need to be managed. It just needs to perform.

Prices are starting to come down - at least on a per port basis.

What would help is for a major OEM (Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc) to start building 10g-Base-T ports onboard on a wider basis. That would help drive demand and the business case for lower cost switches... with enough demand, it's not unreasonable to expect an 8-port unmanaged switch at the 200-250 USD price point - but not at the current moment.

While it is hard to get pricing, it is important to think about what major challenge is causing the price to hospital high. If these networking companies were responsible for selling CPUs, we would be spending $100,000 because they are significantly faster than they were in the 80s.

There is not much of R&D going on as it has been out for a long time, and from a BOM standpoint, they are not much more costly than a 1 GbE switch.

The die sizes on the chipsets are smaller than that of a Low end CPU which may only be on the market for a year before the next model is released.

Volume drives pricing once the R&D/NRE is done - that's what keeps prices high at the moment.

That, and a distinct lack of competition in this sector at present.

It's picking up... TP-Link, along with a couple of other volume/value based OEM's are helping that side with recent announcements - but again, once we start seeing 10GB on the motherboard vs. being add-on cards (or server/workstation class machines)... the prices will come down on everything.

Not much different than we saw with the rollout of 1GB back in the day.

Available now through authorized TRENDnet vendors, the 12-port TEG-40128 retails for $1849, while the 28-port TEG-30284 retails for $399.

Are they offering bundles with the SFP+ adapters? Even if they're only 10G-Base-T...

Otherwise, that needs to be considered as part of the total acquisition cost - some SFP+ adapters can be quite spendy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!