What's new

Trendnet TPL-401E2K

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks for the report. I think you are quoting link rates, which is what powerline utility programs show, not actual throughput.

Quite true. Now that the network is back in decent shape (while waiting for a new router) I tried a simple FTP transfer and on the link that shows ~100 Mbit/s link rate on the Netgear tool I get about 50 Mbit/s actual throughput for the FTP transfer (osx to osx and osx to freebsd, standard setup).

The new devices are an improvement from the previous generation but the marketing department runs the number the show.

Cell/battery chargers are wonderful noise sources
Microwave ovens are definitely monsters, when it comes to noise going back to the wall as well.

Any update on the original article testing with the reference kit from Atheros?

Still no update based on the Atheros reference kit?

That's a shame as it would presumably set the benchmark for what this chipset (and in theory, all designs based upon it) are capable of.

Still no update based on the Atheros reference kit?

That's a shame as it would presumably set the benchmark for what this chipset (and in theory, all designs based upon it) are capable of.

I guess the Atheros "reference" article won't be coming then - maybe an idea to change the TrendNET piece so that people are not left waiting on false promises.

I believe the required net yield throughput for a worst-case 1080p stream is in the area of 25Mbits/sec (UDP/RTSP). At the OFDM link layer, you'd need about twice that.

But isn't that 1080p rare, e.g., BlueRay DVDs or ripped copies thereof? And the typical HD stream in H.264 is more like 12Mbps or so?

I believe the required net yield throughput for a worst-case 1080p stream is in the area of 25Mbits/sec (UDP/RTSP). At the OFDM link layer, you'd need about twice that.

But isn't that 1080p rare, e.g., BlueRay DVDs or ripped copies thereof? And the typical HD stream in H.264 is more like 12Mbps or so?

Your post seems a little out of place... wrong thread maybe? :) Either way a useful bump, maybe one day Tim will respond with an update.

Regarding your estimate of 12Mbps, if true then I have many "worst case" 1080p HD streams that pretty much all average in the low to mid 20's and can easily peak at over 30Mbps. Plus you need to factor in the HD audio (Dolby TrueHD/DTS HD MA) content as well.

These are of course good quality rips I'm talking about - ie. pretty much the original m2ts stream pulled direct from the BD disc rather than converted to a lower bitrate codec.

I would suggest a minimum bandwidth required to stream good quality HD audio/video is closer to 40Mbps (of actual TCP/UDP throughput), but probably more like 55Mbps to absolutely ensure buffer-free viewing.

I'm thinking of picking up the Trendnet TPL-401E2K 500Mbps to use along with my Trendnet 200MBPS. Question is the bandwidth share even if I connect the 500Mbps to a different ethernet port than the 200Mbps? Will the have separate lines like if I were to have two ethernet cable plugged into my router?

If they don't work together. Would it work if I got 4 of the Trendnet 500Mbps adapters? Will they each have up to 500mbps or will they be sharing the 500mbps between each other?

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!