What's new

Trouble adding new XT8 node to excisting network with latest firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Magnalf

New Around Here
Hello people!

I`ve searched the forum, but with no luck, so I`ll give it a shot here with a new thread. (I`m from Norway, so sorry in advance for bad gramma :) :( )

Last two years I have had a mesh system of 2x XT8 in my home without any problems. The router and node have been automatically firmware updated all this time without resets (lazy). Yesterday, i bought myself a 3th node. Having maybe a little bit to positive mindset, I just fired it up and went into the app and clicked "Add device" (or something similar).
Well, this didn`t work.

Next step: Did a factory reset of the node with the WPS button, and same with the main XT8 router. Still didn`t work.

Did a firmware update of the node after this

Third attempt: Added the node with cable from LAN on router and into WAN on node. This works! BUT, only until the cable gets plugged out. I tried to add the node with the cable connected as backhaul, and then switch to prioritize 5GHz-2 Backhaul in the settings before restarting and disconnecting the cable. No luck with this either.
Now I also suddenly had a new problem. None of the nodes will join wireless backhaul - only via cable ethernet backhaul! This now goes also for the older one that worked perfectly even with the newest firmware before reset. It seems like after the hard resets of both router and the nodes, something has occured with the ability to add nodes by wireless backhaul. and generally get nodes connected by wireless backhaul.

My next step now when I`m back from work will be to try once more (again), and maybe roll back firmware. I now run the latest one, updatet this week (sorry, don`t remember the signature).

Has anyone had this problem, and maybe also have a fix? Would be AWESOME :cool: Going crazy here..!

Triple check to make sure all are on the same firmware - router plus both other nodes. Then factory reset all of them. Then add the nodes one by one. For me the node that came with the package always slides in quickly and easily; my bought other node has to be searched for and added - a process that takes about seven minutes. Make sure when you are adding that it is very close to the router. I put them next to each other. Once it is fully established then and only then do I move it to its proper place.

Triple check to make sure all are on the same firmware - router plus both other nodes. Then factory reset all of them. Then add the nodes one by one. For me the node that came with the package always slides in quickly and easily; my bought other node has to be searched for and added - a process that takes about seven minutes. Make sure when you are adding that it is very close to the router. I put them next to each other. Once it is fully established then and only then do I move it to its proper place.
Tnx for your reply. I`ll give it another try in a couple of hours and triple check everything :)

Tried now with beta firmware - same issue. Have changed boxes for which being the main router, but did not help. Tried setup with both app and Web UI, Quick and Advanced. Only way to get them connected is by cable. They connect weakly through 2.4GHz before just fading off again and just blinking blue in the LED indicator. Never had this problem before!

SOLVED: Solution was simple - after 999789 attempts with hard reset, I tried once only with the regular reset button and latest software. EVERYTHING WORKED! In my case, the hard reset just f%#d things up.

SOLVED: Solution was simple - after 999789 attempts with hard reset, I tried once only with the regular reset button and latest software. EVERYTHING WORKED! In my case, the hard reset just f%#d things up.
what is the difference between regular reset button and hard reset?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!