What's new

Troubleshooting: Completely remove Merlin + all custom scripts

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rob Q

I need to do some troubleshooting with our internet connection and my two Roku Streaming Sticks (3600X).
Netflix has become very unstable and I need to go to the extreme and bring the router back to the default stock firmware.
I've went to select 'Initialize all the settings, and clear all the data log for AiProtection, Traffic Analyzer, and Web History.' and hit restore for 'factory default'. Would that have erased everything?
I would like to make sure that these are all gone.
FreshJR's QoS
Diversion
amtm
Skynet
Entware
Swapfile
I don't want to just toss on the stock Asus firmware and noticed that something goes wrong because a custom script was not fully removed.

Router: ASUS RT-AC1900P

Of course, I would put Merlin + extra back on once I figure out what the heck is going on here. I've even got my ISP involved to check connection that is coming to the modem.

Have a look at the usb drive and remove the swap and delete the entware and skynet and diversion stuff.

The USB stick seems to be empty. Only thing in there is 'lost+found' and '.minidlna' folder.
I've uninstalled and disabled everything through amtm.
Also, I've disabled this setting 'Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs'.

I'm feeling positive that I don't have to go to this level because my ISP is saying that the signal coming in to my modem is out of spec.

I would say you have pretty much got it.

I need to do some troubleshooting with our internet connection and my two Roku Streaming Sticks (3600X).
Netflix has become very unstable and I need to go to the extreme and bring the router back to the default stock firmware.
I've went to select 'Initialize all the settings, and clear all the data log for AiProtection, Traffic Analyzer, and Web History.' and hit restore for 'factory default'. Would that have erased everything?
I would like to make sure that these are all gone.
FreshJR's QoS
Diversion
amtm
Skynet
Entware
Swapfile
I don't want to just toss on the stock Asus firmware and noticed that something goes wrong because a custom script was not fully removed.

Router: ASUS RT-AC1900P

Of course, I would put Merlin + extra back on once I figure out what the heck is going on here. I've even got my ISP involved to check connection that is coming to the modem.

The steps you've outlined above will leave RMerlin's firmware still installed. ;)

If you want a default install of stock Asus firmware (which is how I understand your post above), follow the M&M Config guide in my signature below. The list below is an overview of the proper steps and sequence.

1. Remove all USB drives. Reboot the router. Wait 10 minutes after rebooting for the CPU cores to be idle.
  2. Flash the firmware you want to use.
  3. Reset to factory defaults, making sure to check the 'Initialize all settings...' checkbox first.
  4. Immediately after it reboots, do a quick/temporary wizard setup and then perform a WPS Erase.
  5. After it has rebooted, the wizard setup should begin again, if it doesn't, repeat step 4 until it does.
  6. Reflash the same firmware you flashed in step 2.
  7. Repeat step 3.
  8. Setup minimally and manually and without using a saved backup config file to secure the router and connect to your ISP.

The steps you've outlined above will leave RMerlin's firmware still installed. ;)

If you want a default install of stock Asus firmware (which is how I understand your post above), follow the M&M Config guide in my signature below. The list below is an overview of the proper steps and sequence.

1. Remove all USB drives. Reboot the router. Wait 10 minutes after rebooting for the CPU cores to be idle.
  3. Reset to factory defaults, making sure to check the 'Initialize all settings...' checkbox first.
  4. Immediately after it reboots, do a quick/temporary wizard setup and then perform a WPS Erase.
  5. After it has rebooted, the wizard setup should begin again, if it doesn't, repeat step 4 until it does.
  7. Repeat step 3.
  8. Setup minimally and manually and without using a saved backup config file to secure the router and connect to your ISP.
Might not be necessary to revert back to the stock firmware. According to my ISP, the downstream power levels are out of spec.

7. Repeat step 3.

In the M&M guide you’re advocating waiting 5 minutes rather than 10 mins after rebooting for the router to settle. I know it’s not a precise science, and one can check the CPU activity in the GUI.

In the M&M guide you say:
  • Flash new firmware (and in some cases, re-flash the existing firmware if any random, unexplained glitchesare still causing issues).
In Step 6 above, in the overview, you’re advocating a second reflash regardless?

Or are you just checking if anyone’s paying attention? ;)

In the M&M guide you’re advocating waiting 5 minutes rather than 10 mins after rebooting for the router to settle. I know it’s not a precise science, and one can check the CPU activity in the GUI.

In the M&M guide you say:
  • Flash new firmware (and in some cases, re-flash the existing firmware if any random, unexplained glitchesare still causing issues).
In Step 6 above, in the overview, you’re advocating a second reflash regardless?

Or are you just checking if anyone’s paying attention? ;)

I really need to find the time to update that old guide! :)

Yes, with the newer routers and the additional scripts that may be running on them, 10 minutes or more is my new default. :)

For the quoted post, it was specifically for the situation for the OP I was responding to. To make sure that the reset fully cleared any lingering past variables and settings. ;)

We're doing a good job keeping each other on our toes. :D