What's new

True location sent out by router ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SMCrookston

New Around Here
Hi,

I've just bought and set up an Asus RT-AC66U B1 router which is running on Asus Merlin firmware and has Private Internet Access connected through OpenVPN. My question is does the router send out my true location even though I'm connected to a VPN ?

Thanks
SMCrookston

Have a look here with and without active VPN and you get the answer! :rolleyes:

If you IP changes you are save - but still it's visible that you connect from home to the VPN provider... AND: browser and other software send unique IDs to the internet (also via the VPN) which allows to identify the user! :eek:

If you want to be save you have to use a separate PC/Windows/Linux instance when you go via VPN - plus you should use a non-logging/multiple-hops VPN provider. :cool:

My question is does the router send out my true location even though I'm connected to a VPN ?

if the question is can you be traced back by authorities , then the answer is yes as these vpn services know your original ip address / mac address and can be compelled to hand it over to authorities

if the question is do dumb servers in other countries think you are there instead of where you really are then the answer for the most part you can fool those servers

GeoIP API's have been around for some time... so yes...

Some folks worry about DNS leakage - but just consider that VPN doesn't mean what you do on the internet is private nor anonymous - breadcrumbs are what they are...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!