What's new

Trying to create AIMesh using RT-AC86Us - but won't mesh using wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

charsiufan

Occasional Visitor
Hi All

I am attempting to set up a mesh in a 3 storey house. On the top floor is the main Asus router (a 4G enabled RT-AC86U).

On each of the lower floors I have a RT-AC86U. I have set up all boxes on the top floor and they have joined the mesh. The problem is, when I deploy them to lower floors they don't join the mesh unless I use the ethernet back haul. I know there is a decent Wifi signal downstairs as my phone and Amazon Echo can join the wifi from the top floor box no problem.

Any clues as to what could be the issue?

Thanks

PS tried factory resetting them and rejoining the mesh many times and hasn't helped.

Hi All

I am attempting to set up a mesh in a 3 storey house. On the top floor is the main Asus router (a 4G enabled RT-AC86U).

On each of the lower floors I have a RT-AC86U. I have set up all boxes on the top floor and they have joined the mesh. The problem is, when I deploy them to lower floors they don't join the mesh unless I use the ethernet back haul. I know there is a decent Wifi signal downstairs as my phone and Amazon Echo can join the wifi from the top floor box no problem.

Any clues as to what could be the issue?

Thanks

PS tried factory resetting them and rejoining the mesh many times and hasn't helped.

Maybe you have too much WiFi. Perhaps try one router on the top floor at one end, and just one other router/node on the bottom floor at the other end.

OE

I know there is a decent Wifi signal downstairs as my phone and Amazon Echo can join the wifi from the top floor box no problem.

What is AiMesh good for in this case?
It's like spending money on more routers to slow down the network.

Is there good 5G signal downstairs or only 2.4G?
Maybe they need 5G and get only 2.4G.

Is there good 5G signal downstairs or only 2.4G?
Maybe they need 5G and get only 2.4G.

One router on the 2nd floor may be able to cover the entire house. This is what I would try first.

Is AIMesh dependent on 5G? The house has concrete floors so 1 box doesn't work unfortunately

AiMesh may need both radio signals to add nodes. Have you used a WiFi Analyzer app to see what the signal levels are at each node site?

You said "4G enabled RT-AC86U" router... if that means a cellular link, could it be interfering? Perhaps turn it off.

You could tip the router/node antennas to be parallel with the floor/ceiling and place the node directly below the router to see if this increases signaling and permits adding the node... as a test.

OE

Thanks OE - some useful ideas there. I'll try that out.

The 4G router is because my internet is via a 4G SIM card. If i turn it off I won't have any internet.

I have the Wifi analyser app. I will do some testing over the weekend. Thanks again for your tips!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!