What's new

Trying to play local Wifi iPad game over Internet with VPN using Merlin Formware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

superkrups20056

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys,

I'm trying to play Monopoly for iPad with my family that lives far away but it only offers local wifi support for multiplayer, so I tried to set up a VPN through my Merlin AC66U and I still can't see or join games created by the host when we are all connected to it. I first tried the PTPP VPN and changed the IP pool for the VPN to be on the same subnet as the rest of my devices on my LAN (192.168.1.245-192.168.1.254). I added the firewall-start rule to the JFFS partition as well.
I've also tried a basic Open VPN setup that I configured using the ASUS tutorials and the OpenVPN app on my iPad.
Any suggestions on how to get this to work? I've tried so many things and I can't figure it out.

I don't know why your game isn't working, but I can see 2 problems with your setup.
I first tried the PTPP VPN and changed the IP pool for the VPN to be on the same subnet as the rest of my devices on my LAN (192.168.1.245-192.168.1.254).
If you are talking about the "Client IP address" range for the PTPP server then this is wrong. It should be a different network to your LAN (i.e. 192.168.10.2 - 192.168.10.11).
I added the firewall-start rule to the JFFS partition as well.
What rule? There's no need to put anything in firewall-start.

I don't know how the game works but you might need to set the PPTP "Broadcast Support" to Both.

Many of these types of games - they need all the clients/players to be on the same sub-net - this might be a hint...

Many of these types of games - they need all the clients/players to be on the same sub-net - this might be a hint...
What does this mean? I was under the impression that this meant that the number before the last dot in the IP would need to be the same (ex: 192.168.1.1).

Last edited:
If you are talking about the "Client IP address" range for the PTPP server then this is wrong. It should be a different network to your LAN (i.e. 192.168.10.2 - 192.168.10.11).

I don't know how the game works but you might need to set the PPTP "Broadcast Support" to Both.

Thanks for your suggestions, I just tried this but it didn't work :(

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!