What's new

Trying to use second DSL-AC68U in bridge mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Skwisgaars

New Around Here
My house uses a DSL-AC68U as its WAP. I've been having issues with wifi to my desktop, I'm fairly certain its my pcie wifi card and am looking at a replacement but in the meantime I wanted to use the 2nd AC68U I have in WDS mode to act as a secondary wireless receiver that I can then connect via cat5 in to my desktop. I've followed the steps here: https://www.asus.com/au/support/FAQ/114612/ exactly but I still don't get any internet connection when wired or wirelessly connecting to the 2nd router. Any ideas?

I've searched a few forums and it seems bridge mode might not be possible on the DSL-AC68U, only on the RT-AC68U. If true that's really bloody annoying.

What you're describing is called "Media Bridge mode". At a pinch you could use Repeater mode and connect your PC to one of the LAN ports. However, as you have noticed neither of those modes are supported by the DSL-AC68U.

There is an experimental firmware build by GNUton that enables repeater mode.

What you're describing is called "Media Bridge mode". At a pinch you could use Repeater mode and connect your PC to one of the LAN ports. However, as you have noticed neither of those modes are supported by the DSL-AC68U.

There is an experimental firmware build by GNUton that enables repeater mode.

Awesome, thanks for that, might give it a go. That github link mentions AiMesh as a native mode that you can use only with other asus routers, do you know if that could achieve what I'm trying to do here?

Awesome, thanks for that, might give it a go. That github link mentions AiMesh as a native mode that you can use only with other asus routers, do you know if that could achieve what I'm trying to do here?
Sorry, I don't know as I don't use AiMesh. It sounds promising though and it would mean that you could use a more recent stable firmware rather than the old experimental version.

P.S. I've been assuming that your "2nd AC68U" is also the DSL- model.

Yea that's all good, might experiment with Ai mesh if the custom firmware on the 2nd AC68U doesn't work. Primary router is the DSL AC68U yea.

Do you know if there's any documentation on how to set up the media bridge mode with the custom firmware? Would it be similar to This?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!