What's new

Turn on VPN by homeautomation?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bamsefar

I am not 100% sure this is recommended, at all.... I kind of think this might be a security nightmare somehow, but I will ask anyway (that does not mean I will implement any solution).

However let's say I would like to be able to turn on VPN so that I could connect from the outside when I am out traveling or something?

Is this possible by any sort of http kind of solution so that my, in my case, HomeSeer homeautomation server (linux based) would be able to turn on a specific VPN Server by calling with some sort of http call?

I am not 100% sure this is recommended, at all.... I kind of think this might be a security nightmare somehow, but I will ask anyway (that does not mean I will implement any solution).

However let's say I would like to be able to turn on VPN so that I could connect from the outside when I am out traveling or something?

Is this possible by any sort of http kind of solution so that my, in my case, HomeSeer homeautomation server (linux based) would be able to turn on a specific VPN Server by calling with some sort of http call?
Install Entware inotifywait, then if your homeautomation server can create the file on the router....
Code:
inotifywait -m /mnt/$MY_DISK -e create,moved_to |
    while read PATH ACTION FN
        do
            /usr/bin/logger -s "The file '$FN' appeared in directory '$PATH' via '$ACTION'"

# e.g. '/mnt/$MY_DISK/vpnserver2_on' or '/mnt/$MY_DISK/vpnclient5_off'
            case $FN in
                vpnclient[1-5]_on|vpnserver[1-2]_on)
                    /sbin/service start_${FN:0:10}
                    ;;
                vpnclient[1-5]_off|vpnserver[1-2]_off)
                    /sbin/service stop_${FN:0:10}
                    ;;
            esac

/bin/rm ${PATH}$FN
        done

Last edited:
Just curious is there some reason that you don't want to leave your VPN server running 24/7? I have one running on my AC86 and if nothing is connected it doesn't use much in the way of system resources and because it it is a VPN the security risk of someone hacking in is minimal.

No net really I would say. More than I never use the VPN except maybe if I am traveling so no need for it to be open/up under say 300 days out of 365 (366). So it follows my more basic instinct: Not have anything open when not in use kind of thinking.

Please note that I do not say VPN is not safe - it just the way I do things. I normally do not open things just because someone says it safe. It is just like that door back home, it is locked with two locks even thoug some says it is safe with just one - however it does have two locks as standard, so both are locked when I am away. No more, no less. I just like white-list more than black-list, so to speak.

No net really I would say. More than I never use the VPN except maybe if I am traveling so no need for it to be open/up under say 300 days out of 365 (366). So it follows my more basic instinct: Not have anything open when not in use kind of thinking.

Running a VPN server has other uses other than just accessing devices on your LAN. You can use it as an encrypted connection to the Internet when you are out and about town to securely connect to the Internet when you connecting using a WiFi hot spot which for all you know might be controlled or compromised by a hacker. I find this connection works better than using an OpenVPN app from a commercial VPN provider.

Running a VPN server has other uses other than just accessing devices on your LAN. You can use it as an encrypted connection to the Internet when you are out and about town to securely connect to the Internet when you connecting using a WiFi hot spot which for all you know might be controlled or compromised by a hacker. I find this connection works better than using an OpenVPN app from a commercial VPN provider.

The only benefit to the App is you can quickly changes locations for the VPN tunnel in the app. Once you are setup on the router you have to download a new config file for each location which should be done on site.

I find this connection works better than using an OpenVPN app from a commercial VPN provider.
If you are happy to take a performance hit as you are then restricted by your ISP upload speed etc.

If you are happy to take a performance hit as you are then restricted by your ISP upload speed etc.

How many free public WiFi hot spots do you find where you get great or even good speeds? Connecting using my server I can usually get download speeds of 9- 10 Mbps which is good enough for me on a smart phone just to check the headlines or look at a weather forecast.

If I am visiting some place where I will be for awhile with good WiFi speeds then I will run a VPN app from PIA on the phone or laptop even though takes longer to to establish a connection for the increased throughput.

How many free public WiFi hot spots do you find where you get great or even good speeds? Connecting using my server I can usually get download speeds of 9- 10 Mbps which is good enough for me on a smart phone just to check the headlines or look at a weather forecast.

If I am visiting some place where I will be for awhile with good WiFi speeds then I will run a VPN app from PIA on the phone or laptop even though takes longer to to establish a connection for the increased throughput.

This for people with good internet at home it should be faster than anything you will be using that is free wifi.