What's new

Diversion Turned off router/internet for about two weeks while away and Diversion doesn't seem to work properly

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Daniel LaRusso

Occasional Visitor
As stated in the title, I was away for about 2.5 weeks and turned off my router. My ISP allows "pausing" for up to a month, so that you will not be charged for internet usage when going on trips/holiday. I decided to take advantage of this feature and turned off the router as well, however, after returning (it's been about two days now), it seems that all ads that were previously blocked, are now making it through Diversion. I also upgraded to Merlin to 388.1 as soon as I returned home. In DNS Director, I have "Enable DNS Director" turned on and "Global Redirection" set to router; I have no clients in the client list. DNS Server 1 and 2 are left blank, as always. I have not changed any settings that I used before upgrading to Merlin 388.1, so all my settings were the same as before, when Diversion was blocking most ads. Is this because I turned off my router for 2.5 weeks? Will ads be blocked as previously, after a few more days? I've conducted an ad-block test on my iPhone on https://adblock-tester.com, and the banner ads testing has failed (gif, flash banners, static image), which did not happen before my holiday. I've rebooted my router, turned Diversion on/off, etc., but ads are not being blocked at all. I've even gone into amtm and in Diversion, to follow dnsmasq.log, but I can see that no ads are blocked. Any suggestions?

As stated in the title, I was away for about 2.5 weeks and turned off my router. My ISP allows "pausing" for up to a month, so that you will not be charged for internet usage when going on trips/holiday. I decided to take advantage of this feature and turned off the router as well, however, after returning (it's been about two days now), it seems that all ads that were previously blocked, are now making it through Diversion. I also upgraded to Merlin to 388.1 as soon as I returned home. In DNS Director, I have "Enable DNS Director" turned on and "Global Redirection" set to router; I have no clients in the client list. DNS Server 1 and 2 are left blank, as always. I have not changed any settings that I used before upgrading to Merlin 388.1, so all my settings were the same as before, when Diversion was blocking most ads. Is this because I turned off my router for 2.5 weeks? Will ads be blocked as previously, after a few more days? I've conducted an ad-block test on my iPhone on https://adblock-tester.com, and the banner ads testing has failed (gif, flash banners, static image), which did not happen before my holiday. I've rebooted my router, turned Diversion on/off, etc., but ads are not being blocked at all. I've even gone into amtm and in Diversion, to follow dnsmasq.log, but I can see that no ads are blocked. Any suggestions?

Fastest way is to get back into AMTM and run 1 for Diversion, then U for update (3-Force Update) option, then after that completes, run option b then 4 to update the blocking list.

Fastest way is to get back into AMTM and run 1 for Diversion, then U for update (3-Force Update) option, then after that completes, run option b then 4 to update the blocking list.
Hmmm, did all those things you mentioned, but no ads are being blocked. Should I reboot the router and restart Diversion?

Hmmm, did all those things you mentioned, but no ads are being blocked. Should I reboot the router and restart Diversion?
No other scripts??? When was the last time you updated ENTWARE, (ep) from AMTM. Check that first before trying anything else first. You need to force reload all scripts by the "u" update afterwards.

Pull the power out of the router end while it is on, wait a solid 1Minute, then plug it in again. You leave the power switch in the "on" position for this.

If that doesn't make it go, then reflash the 388.1 firmware on top.

No other scripts??? When was the last time you updated ENTWARE, (ep) from AMTM. Check that first before trying anything else first. You need to force reload all scripts by the "u" update afterwards.

Pull the power out of the router end while it is on, wait a solid 1Minute, then plug it in again. You leave the power switch in the "on" position for this.

If that doesn't make it go, then reflash the 388.1 firmware on top.
I update regularly through amtm. However, I just tried your suggestion of unplugging for a minute, then re-flashing 388.1. No ads are being blocked again. Should I just erase the usb drive that Diversion is on and re-install amtm?

I update regularly through amtm. However, I just tried your suggestion of unplugging for a minute, then re-flashing 388.1. No ads are being blocked again. Should I just erase the usb drive that Diversion is on and re-install amtm?

If your Modem was powered down (not just in holiday billing mode) for 2.5 weeks then you may have a new WAN IP assigned by the ISP that gets keyed. Have you bounced the power on the modem again, like you just did on the router???

You could try uninstalling just Diversion and rebooting, then reloading. But if you have minimal scripts, then just reformatting the USB might be the way to go and a shorter path.

You might want to fill out your forum Signature with the router model and what scripts are in play.

With regards to your iPhone:
Have you turned off the wifi for a minute then turned it back on, since router firmware upgrade?
Have you done a hard power reset (I assume you know how to do it: up, down, hold untill the apple logo comes up) , not just a power off?

Last edited:
If your Modem was powered down (not just in holiday billing mode) for 2.5 weeks then you may have a new WAN IP assigned by the ISP that gets keyed. Have you bounced the power on the modem again, like you just did on the router???

You could try uninstalling just Diversion and rebooting, then reloading. But if you have minimal scripts, then just reformatting the USB might be the way to go and a shorter path.

You might want to fill out your forum Signature with the router model and what scripts are in play.

Have you turned off the wifi for a minute then turned it back on, since router firmware upgrade?
Have you done a hard power reset (I assume you know how to do it: up, down, hold untill the apple logo comes up) , not just a power off?
I have this same problem, I thought it occurred after I used a VPN Client with VPN Director, but I also updated to 388.1 this past few days too. I've checked to make sure no proxies are enabled on my browsers on my Macbook, iPhone, and Windows PC. And I've followed all your recommendations (but haven't redone the USB stick yet). I have uninstalled and reinstalled Diversion twice. And ads are still showing. It's a mystery.

I have this same problem, I thought it occurred after I used a VPN Client with VPN Director, but I also updated to 388.1 this past few days too. I've checked to make sure no proxies are enabled on my browsers on my Macbook, iPhone, and Windows PC. And I've followed all your recommendations (but haven't redone the USB stick yet). I have uninstalled and reinstalled Diversion twice. And ads are still showing. It's a mystery.

It appears the 2 models getting the most complaints are the AX88U and AX86U on the 388.1.

Read the other forum threads as well for what is working or not with VPN's.

This may be a default settings change problem with 388.1.

Not seeing many complaints with Diversion. The OP has referenced 1 script so his conflict may lie elsewhere.

Others are rolling back to 386.5_2 or 386.7_2.

It appears the 2 models getting the most complaints are the AX88U and AX86U on the 388.1.

Read the other forum threads as well for what is working or not with VPN's.

This may be a default settings change problem with 388.1.

Not seeing many complaints with Diversion. The OP has referenced 1 script so his conflict may lie elsewhere.

Others are rolling back to 386.5_2 or 386.7_2.

I rolled back to 386.7_2 and Diversion is now logging that ads are being blocked, however, this seems true on my Macb ook but on my iPhone ads are clearly displayed on every site I go to. I did clear the cookies/data and rebooted the iPhone before I tested too. Same on the Macbook. I'll leave the router with 386.7_2 for now and read some more posts.

I rolled back to 386.7_2 and Diversion is now logging that ads are being blocked, however, this seems true on my Macb ook but on my iPhone ads are clearly displayed on every site I go to. I did clear the cookies/data and rebooted the iPhone before I tested too. Same on the Macbook. I'll leave the router with 386.7_2 for now and read some more posts.

Have you added the CA.CRT file to the phone?

Have you added the CA.CRT file to the phone?

I just did this on the iPhone and it did not work, lol. So frustrating. I've had zero major problems with Diversion up until this point. It just works normally.

I just did this on the iPhone and it did not work, lol. So frustrating. I've had zero major problems with Diversion up until this point. It just works normally.

When was the last time you did a full Factory Reset and Wipe and reentered everything from scratch?
Including the JFFS partition.
(You can try a wipe and reload from saved setting, this works sometimes without a scratch rebuild.)
It's a time suck but sometimes that's the only way.
I upgrade dirty all the time but once in a while if I get poor results and issues, I just start over.
Sometimes the USB gets corrupted.
I don't run 110 iot devices like some here where it's a pain to reload if you don't save a backup file.

If you start fresh the new ca.crt will need to be re-imported everywhere.

When was the last time you did a full Factory Reset and Wipe and reentered everything from scratch?
(You can try a wipe and reload from saved setting, this works sometimes without a scratch rebuild.)
I upgrade dirty all the time but once in a while if I get poor results and issues, I just start over.
I don't run 110 iot devices like some here where it's a pain to reload if you don't save a backup file.

I think this is my only option, a fresh factory reset of everything hasn't occurred for maybe two years, I think. I've got plenty of time so that's not a problem. Thanks for your help.

I'm trying to format the USB thumb drive, I'm using the same one as I don't have another. When I try to reformat ( i > fd in AMTM) AMTM says

No compatible plugged in USB storage
device(s) found to format

How do I go about formatting the USB drive? I can't remember ... I should have made a note but didn't.

I'm trying to format the USB thumb drive, I'm using the same one as I don't have another. When I try to reformat ( i > fd in AMTM) AMTM says

How do I go about formatting the USB drive? I can't remember ... I should have made a note but didn't.

Pick the port, once it’s in the one you want, reboot the router.
The USB keys to that port so don’t change it once you install the scripts.
You need to set up router to allow it to be seen.

After that initall reboot the router should recognize the drive

Then in AMTM use fd and pick the size of the swap file.
see my signature

if it doesn’t go format the drive in a pc first to another standard, ntfs or whatever
then start over

never a bad idea to fomat in a pc just to make sure the drive can still be in working good shape

Last edited:
I

I have a static IP.

I have a static IP through my ISP. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled Diversion already. I’ve read some of the thread, and it seems as if my router (Asus AX88U) might be the problem. I guess I’ll try reverting back to the previous version of Merlin.

Pick the port, once it’s in the one you want, reboot the router.
The USB keys to that port so don’t change it once you install the scripts.
You need to set up router to allow it to be seen.

After that initall reboot the router should recognize the drive

Then in AMTM use fd and pick the size of the swap file.
see my signature

if it doesn’t go format the drive in a pc first to another standard, ntfs or whatever
then start over

never a bad idea to fomat in a pc just to make sure the drive can still be in working good shape
Done. Diversion is working well, and my router is using less RAM now after the factory reset. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!