What's new

Diversion Diversion killing ALL web access

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chetstone

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I'm just trying out diversion 4.3.3 Standard using the standard list. I've been using it for a couple of weeks and yeah, it blocks a lot of ads. But twice now I've come home from a day away and my entire network is hosed. I can ping to internet hosts, but cannot reach any websites in my browser, and the 'dig' command cannot contact any DNS server to resolve any names.

Turning off diversion fixes the problem. I can then turn it back on again right away and everything works for several days, then this happens again.
Any hints for troubleshooting this? Note that I am using the DNS-over-TLS (DoT) DNS Privacy profile using the family.cloudflare-dns.com TLS hostname. I also have DNS Director turned on with Global Redirection set to "Router". Perhaps Diversion is incompatible with this setup?

Please advise troubleshooting steps.

Thanks

DoT is more likely to be the unreliable piece of the puzzle. Diversion is a solid, mature add-on, along with dnsmasq.

DoT is more likely to be the unreliable piece of the puzzle. Diversion is a solid, mature add-on, along with dnsmasq.
One minor detail in that scenario. The OP also mentions they are using Diversion Standard. Lately, Pixelserv-TLS has been the culprit behind common points of failures. Especially when using large blocklists. Typically users notice their DNS behaves properly on Diversion Lite with DoT.

One minor detail in that scenario. The OP also mentions they are using Diversion Standard. Lately, Pixelserv-TLS has been the culprit behind common points of failures. Especially when using large blocklists. Typically users notice their DNS behaves properly on Diversion Lite with DoT.

Indeed - exactly why I opted to drop Pixelserv-TLS over 2 years ago, and stick with Diversion "Lite" which still offers excellent ad-blocking experience

Indeed - exactly why I opted to drop Pixelserv-TLS over 2 years ago, and stick with Diversion "Lite" which still offers excellent ad-blocking experience
Don't get me wrong, pixelserv-tls could have been great provided its development had continued which would have included patching these issues. For the average user, Diversion Lite should be the Diversion Standard. The current Diversion Standard should have been the Diversion Pro. I find it hard to believe every user was actually importing certificates into their devices for pixelserv-tls to properly work any ways. I can't wait for @thelonelycoder new release.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!