What's new

Turning an extra Netgear router into a wireless access point AND VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mcf57

New Around Here
I currently have a R8000 Netgear Nighthawk wireless router hooked up to my Xfinity modem. I then have several network switches throughout the house with hard wired equipment (PS5, Xbox, FireTV, laptops, MAC, Windows desktops, etc). All works good.

I recently was given a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router from a family member. Initially, I have initially reconfigured it as an "access point". Its WAN port is then connected to a hardwired 8 port switch in the basement. It then provides 4 more LAN ports as well as another wireless connection used for a better connections in the basement. Again, all is working good.

Is there possibly a way install my paid VPN service (IP Vannish) into this newly obtain R7000 router? For now, the "VPN service" settings are greyed out in the advanced settings. I am assuming this is because I changed it to an access point.

I am trying to make it so any device connected to the R7000 (LAN ports and/or wireless) would appear to be in another state via my IPVannish service. Everything else on the network would be connected as normal.

Is this possible? If so, any recommendations or websites showing how to configure the R7000 with my IPVannish account?

You have to enable routing to use a VPN.... this will be problematic if you need outside access to devices connect through this device. If not then it should work just fine.

I don't know what the VPN capabilities are of the oem/stock firmware. Many times placing the device in AP mode (esp. if it's a formal option in the GUI) disables such features because they are tightly bound to the WAN. Of course, if you left it configured w/ an active WAN (and thus placed all the devices behind it on their own IP network), that would work too.

But if you insist on using the R7000 as an AP and want VPN client support, I recommend installing FreshTomato, since it's OpenVPN client is still accessible when in a bridged configuration. The only caveat is that like any bridged device supporting a VPN client, you have to change the default gateway of those devices you want routed through the VPN to the LAN ip of that device.

In short, there are pros and cons to configuring the secondary router as a router (i.e., active WAN) vs. just an AP (i.e., bridge). You just have to decide which best serves your purposes.

I have a netgear R7000 as my main router and flashed with Express vpn router firmware. I then have my Netgear R78000 flashed with Voxel and Kamoj firmware connected via a switch to the R7000.The express vpn firmware has 5 groups that can be connected to different vpn locations by dragging and dropping the device including a no vpn.I can connect to both routers set to different countries or no vpn as I so wish.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!