What's new

Turning off QoS helps "one 5G radio" syndrome on AC3200?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vibroverbus

Regular Contributor
I have previously posted problem of all devices tending to end up on 5G-2 radio regardless of what Smart Connect or other Wifi settings I try... Playing w/ Smart Connect rules would sort of seem to work for a little bit but over time everything would just sit on 5G-2.

Well I have had QoS on most if not all of the time...

Turned it off trying to test some other odd behaviours the other day and suddenly I had devices showing up on the 5G-1 radio. Interesting. Will keep watching and testing few things.

QOS should not be used unless you have a very slow connection. What are your speeds? For example, I have GB up/down so using QOS would be pointless.

Now, if you have a 10M up/down connection I can understand using QOS especially if you use VOIP and stream a multitude of internet media and content.

Tests at like 112/12. Prob you're right. The bottleneck would be simultaneous multimedia competing w a business related app which fires up periodically syncing data which seems to hog the network for a moment or two. And we occasionally have nephew fire up a laptop and run hoggy multiplayer online games and i always enjoy setting him at the bottom of priority (and who knows what infections his computer has - it opens a billion connections...)

However thats not really here nor there as this isnt a QoS advice thread but is making the observation that the device / radio selection behavior seems to change when QoS is off.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!