What's new

Turning on AIMesh node (RT_AC86U) cause main router (RT_AC88U) to repeatedly crash

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

axdaws007

New Around Here
Hi,

I'm trying to setup an AIMesh using a RT-AC88U as the main router and a RT_AC86U as the AIMesh node. Both routers are currently running the firmware v386.10.

The AIMesh has been configured (i.e. the AC86U has been setup succesfully as the AIMesh node). However, within a few mins the main router AC88U stops working and appears to reboot itself repeatedly (and slowly).

If I turn the AC86U node off the main router works fine. It only starts rebooting itself once the node (AC86U) has been turned on.

I've also tried using firmware version 386.11 which is the latest version availble for both of these routers and it does exactly the same thing.

Welcome, new person! There are plenty of threads/posts around here about this...use the Better Search function up at the top of the page.
People around here generally recommend running the more modern/recent hardware as the AiMesh router (and I believe that's the AC86) with Merlin, and then flashing current, stock firmware to the older hardware for AiMesh nodes, and I think that's to remedy the issue you're having specifically.

Hi @heysoundude, thanks for welcome and the response. I appreciate it.

I'm a bit hamstrung about which way round the router and the node need to be. Unfortunately I need the 8 port AC88U to be main router positioned near the incoming DSL master socket.

I deliberately put the same firmware version on both routers as I had read that this was the correct thing to do. May I just confirm you're suggesting using the latest asuswrt-merlin firmware on the main router, but then using the stock asus firmware (not the asuswrt-merlin firmware) on the node? Have i understood that correctly?

Hi @heysoundude, thanks for welcome and the response. I appreciate it.

I'm a bit hamstrung about which way round the router and the node need to be. Unfortunately I need the 8 port AC88U to be main router positioned near the incoming DSL master socket.

I deliberately put the same firmware version on both routers as I had read that this was the correct thing to do. May I just confirm you're suggesting using the latest asuswrt-merlin firmware on the main router, but then using the stock asus firmware (not the asuswrt-merlin firmware) on the node? Have i understood that correctly?
switch the routers and use an 8 port switch with the ac86u

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!