What's new

[TUTORIAL] Native Transmission on asuswrt routers through optware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Someone interested in transmission v2.84 from debian wheezy? It's for arm devices: RT-AC56U, RT-AC68U, RT-AC87U...
[emoji1]

Last edited:

Great job!

I have just an issue using the Transmission Remote GUI, I can't find the right path for the download dir and incomplete dir, I try change the path in the settings "Default download folder on remote host" but seems it can't find the right mapping, i have an external SSD drive attached on the USB port named "SSD" all is fine except for transmission, before with optware was normally working on my download path "/tmp/mnt/SSD" but with debian it's no longer available. I guess something is changed with the mount point, but I don't know how to fix it, i'm dummie on linux.

Last edited:
Great job!

I have just an issue using the Transmission Remote GUI, I can't find the right path for the download dir and incomplete dir, I try change the path in the settings "Default download folder on remote host" but seems it can't find the right mapping, i have an external SSD drive attached on the USB port named "SSD" all is fine except for transmission, before with optware was normally working on my download path "/tmp/mnt/SSD" but with debian it's no longer available. I guess something is changed with the mount point, but I don't know how to fix it, i'm dummie on linux.

Working on it now...

Great job!

Done, follow from "Download startup script for installed services..."
https://www.asuswrt.eu/how-to-install-debian-wheezy-arm/
Then from point 12 https://www.asuswrt.eu/transmission-torrent-download-manager-through-debian-wheezy-arm/ :)

Great job!

First "exit" debian, then "/opt/etc/init.d/S99debian stop" then "nano /opt/etc/init.d/S99debian" you have to put the path "EXT_DIR=/tmp/mnt/SSD/", save&exit nano, "/opt/etc/init.d/S99debian start", enter debian and you will find the "SSD" content in "/mnt".

Last edited:
First "exit" debian, then "/opt/etc/init.d/S99debian stop" then "nano /opt/etc/init.d/S99debian" you have to put the path "EXT_DIR=/tmp/mnt/SSD/", save&exit nano, "/opt/etc/init.d/S99debian start", enter debian and you will find the "SSD" content in "/mnt".

Thanks, I did it already, the settings i need is for "Transmission remote GUI" so I had to put "/mnt" instead of "/tmp/mnt/SSD" in the "Default download folder on remote host" option.
Now it works, but why i can't put the full path if "EXT_DIR=/tmp/mnt/SSD/" is set?

Thanks, I did it already, the settings i need is for "Transmission remote GUI" so I had to put "/mnt" instead of "/tmp/mnt/SSD" in the "Default download folder on remote host" option.
Now it works, but why i can't put the full path if "EXT_DIR=/tmp/mnt/SSD/" is set?

/tmp/mnt/SSD/ is mount point for optware
/mnt/ is mount point for debian
debian is running under optware
so when you run an aplication under debian, /tmp/mnt/SSD/(or whatever path you set to EXT_DIR) is becoming /mnt/

You are running Transmission 2.84 under debian.

/tmp/mnt/SSD/ is mount point for optware
/mnt/ is mount point for debian
debian is running under optware
so when you run an aplication under debian, /tmp/mnt/SSD/(or whatever path you set to EXT_DIR) is becoming /mnt/

You are running Transmission 2.84 under debian.

Thanks for the explanation, practically debian runs in a virtual environment? I'm increasingly fascinated by the ability of this router, this means we can have always an updated version of transmission or run other BT client, i just wonder if there are any security issue, for the rest is great.

Help upgrade!!!

Good morning , I have to version 2.82 of trasmission installed on ASUS RTN - N66U and would like to upgrade to 2.84 . What do I do ?? Thank You

is there a way to set auto-download in transmission? possibly from RSS feeds? Just wanna know before I take a huge plunge into Optware. My trackers do not support coachpotato/torrentpotato. I'm not a fan of checking trackers every time a show comes on (nor am I home for it)....and when I do get on it it's all seeded out and I take a hit on my ratio. I just wanna sit down on the couch and have the shows all ready for me. Movies I dont mind downloading manually.

Last edited:
is there a way to set auto-download in transmission? possibly from RSS feeds? Just wanna know before I take a huge plunge into Optware. My trackers do not support coachpotato/torrentpotato. I'm not a fan of checking trackers every time a show comes on (nor am I home for it)....and when I do get on it it's all seeded out and I take a hit on my ratio. I just wanna sit down on the couch and have the shows all ready for me. Movies I dont mind downloading manually.

Should be possible from chrooted debian transmission and FlexGet

transmission via optware does not support something like flexget? Is there a guide to install via chrooted debian? Sorry all this dev talk is confusing to me.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!