What's new

Two AC56U and double OpenVPN in Dual WAN...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DomFel

Occasional Visitor
Having two 56Us here, one is configured with OpenVPN, would like to configure the other one with OpenVPN as well and set it up with dual-wan to the other router, so to share the load between the two 56Us CPUs.
The question is: how is the firmware prioritizing the WAN connection?
I mean, if I enable the OpenVPN on the second router, will it process the VPN before or after the dual-wan setup? Will it consider the OpenVPN as part of the primary WAN, or will it try to connect to the VPN using the dual-wan setup?

First case: router boots, connect to the OpenVPN, then with dual-wan sends the traffic 1:1 in load balancing with the other router (would be perfect!)
OR
Second case: router boots, process the dual-wan, tries to connect to the OpenVPN using the dual-wan load balancing? (which would be a little bit weird)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Dual WAN works at a connection level, not at a packet level. An OpenVPN tunnel is nothing more than an SSL connection, just like if you were visiting an HTTPS website. Therefore there's no guarantee which of the two WAN interface will be used at connect time, but once it's connected, it will always stay on that same WAN.

Dual WAN works at a connection level, not at a packet level. An OpenVPN tunnel is nothing more than an SSL connection, just like if you were visiting an HTTPS website. Therefore there's no guarantee which of the two WAN interface will be used at connect time, but once it's connected, it will always stay on that same WAN.

Hi Merlin,

When I enable Load balancing, and static routing in dual wan, dual wan static routing makes it not use OpenVPN for the specific IP.

Is there a way to choose a static line for the specific device and yet use OpenVPN.

And is there a way to be able to route load balancing 2 WANs to 2 OpenVPNs to be able to use both connection at the same time for one device, to maximize torrent download speeds.

Thanks a lot for your great work. ;)

I don't deal with Dual WAN, sorry. The implementation is complex and undocumented, and I have no realistic way of testing it.