What's new

Two access points, one network and roaming

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

9lives

Occasional Visitor
I need two APs to get adequate signal in my entire house. I am using Buffalo routers with Tomato and I also have a Fonera 2200 running DD-WRT I can use.

At the moment both APs are using the same SSID but on different channels. The problem is my devices don't switch from one to the other without me disconnecting and reconnecting them to the network. I usually just turn wifi off and then back on again to do that. I have an IBM Thinkpad with Intel 2915 ABG wifi card and a HTC Hero running Android with an unknown B/G wifi radio.

The HTC Hero in particular has very few options for the wifi. Is there any way I can make my devices switch to the strongest signal automatically?

Is there any way I can make my devices switch to the strongest signal automatically?
Unless your clients have a roaming adjustment you can tweak in their properties, you can't.

Smooth roaming support isn't a requirement in the 802.11g spec. It's optional and not many clients implement it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!