What's new

two dhcp same network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stayalive

New Around Here
Well hello. I have two routers at home. The one that my ISP provided me with is a Huawei and doesnt have the option for USB sharing so i connected my TP Link - WDR3600 to the Huawei and took all the necessary steps to share the USB connected to my tp link.

The problem is that i cant access my usb and i assume that this happens because my WDR3600 is not connected to the internet directly but is acting as a wireless access point.

The connection is done through LAN to LAN and the DHCP Server is disabled on my TP Link. My TP Link says WAN port is unplugged and there is no IP address under WAN settings. My Huawei is on 192.168.1.1 and the TP Link is on 192.168.1.11.

It seems that i need to use WAN on the TP Link to be able to get an IP for the USB but i dont know how to do it given the fact that DHCP is disabled

Do you guys have any clues on how to get WAN to work on the second router?

Thanks in advance

First off you can’t use 2 DHCP servers on the same network. Now with that said using the second router without the WAN port is just like using a switch on your network. If you want to use the WAN port on the second router then just turn on DHCP on the WAN port and make sure you use different networks for the two routers. The WAN port will be fed an IP address from the first router. The second router will need a network other than 192.168.1.1. You did not specify your mask but you will need to take that into account when figuring your different networks.

I don’t know how the USB port works on the router so I am no help with that. I don’t see why the WAN port would need to be used since I doubt the USB port uses a WAN port IP address.

Well hello. I have two routers at home. The one that my ISP provided me with is a Huawei and doesnt have the option for USB sharing so i connected my TP Link - WDR3600 to the Huawei and took all the necessary steps to share the USB connected to my tp link.

The problem is that i cant access my usb and i assume that this happens because my WDR3600 is not connected to the internet directly but is acting as a wireless access point.

The connection is done through LAN to LAN and the DHCP Server is disabled on my TP Link. My TP Link says WAN port is unplugged and there is no IP address under WAN settings. My Huawei is on 192.168.1.1 and the TP Link is on 192.168.1.11.

It seems that i need to use WAN on the TP Link to be able to get an IP for the USB but i dont know how to do it given the fact that DHCP is disabled

Do you guys have any clues on how to get WAN to work on the second router?

Thanks in advance

one LAN/network, one router.
One DHCP server per LAN.
More coverage? Add access point(s) that can be re-purposed WiFi routers - with DHCP disabled, WAN port unused. See FAQ.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!