What's new

Two different Asus AX88u's, Two different power adapters???

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Diddy

Occasional Visitor
Hey guys. Quick question.

I picked up two of the AX88u's to replace my old AC88u/AC3100 combo, and there's something weird. The first one I got (two days ago) has the regular Asus power adapter, where the plug is on the small brick, just like my older models have.

I got my second one today, and, for some reason, this one came with an entirely different power adapter. This one has a brick and a second power cable that then plugs into that brick. Odd that the same model would have two different power connectors. Anyone know why this would be the case? Did Asus update something along the way?

Thanks!

Could you have picked up packaging intended for sale in different countries? Do the routers have the same manufacturing rev level? Indeed, it would seem to be strange, unless asus redesigned and one is "old" and one is "new".

My two RT-AX86U's have the three-prong AC power cord that plugs into the 'brick'. The RT-AX88U that I had for just over a year is just a single unit (like every previous Asus router before them).

Something about specifically grounding the new routers is required for the newer ones? They are up to 45W now (19V @ 2.37A).

That might be the case. The boxes for them are actually different. The first one I got in the white box has the normal, one piece, power adapter. The second that showed up today was in the black box and had the two piece adapter with the larger brick.

What's also odd is the power output on the two piece adapter was different as well. I need to look at it again to see exactly what it is.

Attachments

• PXL_20201222_045342446.jpg
    PXL_20201222_045342446.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 431
The power adaptor of the RT-AX88U was also the same, 45W (19V @ 2.37A), but it was the one-piece design.

I guess the newer versions are coming with the newer 2-piece adaptors. At least these higher-end/more powerful models.

The power adaptor of the RT-AX88U was also the same, 45W (19V @ 2.37A), but it was the one-piece design.

I guess the newer versions are coming with the newer 2-piece adaptors. At least these higher-end/more powerful models.

Yeah, the "brick" is still 45W. It's 19.5 @ 2.31 though, but still 45W. Still odd that they'd be different.

Attachments

• PXL_20201222_050628295.jpg
    PXL_20201222_050628295.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 499
Odd thing too. Newegg's photos show both the white and black box for the RX88U. And the adapters are different for both.

No, not odd. They're doing what 'legal' asked them to do so they can ship whatever is in stock. ;)

Btw, it is 2.37A, not 2.31A, correct?

No, not odd. They're doing what 'legal' asked them to do so they can ship whatever is in stock. ;)

Btw, it is 2.37A, not 2.31A, correct?

Brick says 2.31 on it. You can see in the attached picture. Little hard to read, but it's a one.

Okay, I missed that it was 19.5V too! Asus' suppliers are all over the place. :)

I’ve got the same with my RT-AX86U. In all unboxing videos that i watched, they have the asus power adapter but mine looks more of generic one, like yours. I actually raised this to asus but they haven’t got back to me.