What's new

Two Factor Authentication on a small network Yubikey?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bernard038

Regular Contributor
Hi All,

We have a small network (windows, domain based, two DC's, approx ten users) and as security is a issue in our company (we are active in mental health services, so most information we handle is part of doctor patient confidentiality), passwords are growing longer and more complex. This is annoying to my users..

So i am thinking about implementing two-factor authentication. BUT, most solutions are targeted on larger enterprises. and i really do not want additional serverfarms to handle authentication. So maybe the Yubikey - Authlite solution might work for us... BUT does anyone have any experience with this combination?

Maybe there are other solutions which might work, so if you have another option, let me know! (please bear in mind i don't provide our users with phones, so any phone-based solution is out of the question....)

Cheers, b.

Just an idea - how about an OAUTH-based solution, using a smartphone soft token software (like Google Authenticator)? Assuming everyone owns a smartphone.

Reactions: KW.
Hi RMerlin,

Just an idea - how about an OAUTH-based solution, using a smartphone soft token software (like Google Authenticator)? Assuming everyone owns a smartphone.

Thank you for your answer, afaik Yubikey uses OAuth.. And a phone based solution is not viable, as i dont hand company smartphones to my employees.....

I have no experience with Yubikey - Authlite but I am trying figure this out. So is this extra security going to protect your network from your staff? I am trying to figure out what you are gaining. Cisco has a way to lock down hardware I have seen it in their switches. It looks like you run Cisco hardware.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!