What's new

Two GT-AX11000 wired backhaul, can I use the 5GHz-2 on the node?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

alexpro

New Around Here
I just set up two GT-AX11000 in a mesh using wired backhaul. I also have a third wireless node, so that means that the 5GHz-2 band on the router is hidden which makes sense.

However, on the node GT-AX11000 I would like to use its second band for general purpose wi-fi, however it appears but it stays hidden. Any way I can enable it?

In the Asus app or in the GUI, just unhide the said, should broadcast as normal afterwards

Yes, that seems to work....thank you! It is however forcing me to use a different SSID for the backhaul network which was something I was trying to avoid. I like the simplicity of having the same SSID and AiMesh where it disconnects devices that get too far so they connect to the closer node. Right now it seems my phone still tries to stay connected to the backhaul one even if it is out of range and there's another node closer that isn't tri-band....not sure if this is something that they can fix.

I guess I was expecting that for the tri-band node, if on wired backhaul to make the second 5G band available under the same SSID

Same SSID not possible unfortunately, I'd suggest enabling roaming assist onto the 5ghz2 band and setting it to 65-70db and it should switch you over to the other ssid and closer ap quite seamlessly.

I just set up two GT-AX11000 in a mesh using wired backhaul. I also have a third wireless node, so that means that the 5GHz-2 band on the router is hidden which makes sense.

However, on the node GT-AX11000 I would like to use its second band for general purpose wi-fi, however it appears but it stays hidden. Any way I can enable it?

Or, set the second router up in AP (Access Point) mode, turn off Roam Assist across all three radios (because ASUS supports 802.11k/v/r, I believe, anyway) and then use the same SSID across both routers, and you should be good to go.

I’ve done this across two RT-AX92Us and it’s literally been flawless with zero roaming issues on the client side. Also, all admin occurs on the primary router. We use MoCA 2.0 Ethernet-over-coax for backhaul and getting full bandwidth for our gigabit Internet across both routers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate to say it but this is a case of RTFM. If you are connecting two AX11000's , the primary one needs to connect to the secondary's WAN port (not the LAN port). If you connect LAN to LAN you lose wired backhaul. It will work but over the 5.2 band. What would be the point of doing that? The only way wired backhaul works is if you connect LAN to WAN. This is documented.

I hate to say it but this is a case of RTFM. If you are connecting two AX11000's , the primary one needs to connect to the secondary's WAN port (not the LAN port). If you connect LAN to LAN you lose wired backhaul. It will work but over the 5.2 band. What would be the point of doing that? The only way wired backhaul works is if you connect LAN to WAN. This is documented.

What he is saying that when you select wired backhaul it still reserves the 2nd 5GHz band that is used for wireless backhaul. You never get that band back even with wired backhaul. It would be nice to have all 3 bands used the same way as the normal "Smart Connect" mode on both tri-band routers and if there is a problem with wired backhaul then fall back to the 2nd 5Ghz band.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!