What's new

Two issues with RT-AX58U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

norwestie

New Around Here
I created separate networks for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands to make it easier to setup my cameras and iOT devices. When the internet is running normally, I get somewhere around 250Mbs download speeds on the 5Ghz band but when I switch over to use the 2.4 it drops down to around 5Mbs. I don't see anything on the settings that limits speeds. Is there a way to bump it up? Secondly, every 3-5 days the 5Ghz speeds will drop to 2-5Mbs. I power-cycle the cable modem, router and switch and things get back to normal. I set the Asus to reboot at 3AM four days a week but that didn't eliminate the problem. Any ideas?

Not sure. I don't use the 2.4 GHz band but i do use 5 Ghz for many devices on my AX58U and never had the issue you are having. I get almost always between 450 and 600 mbps over wifi 5 GHz never half to reboot the router. So it has to be some other setting in your environment causing the issue. In fact this AX58U has been remarkably stable since purchase in November of 2019.

The issues began when I installed the AX58U. The modem and switch haven't changed so that sort of points to the router.

Yeah sounds logical but many are using the AX58 with no issues. Could be your ISP possibly. I am using AT&T fiber with there gateway in bridge mode IP pass to the AX58.

Maybe your 2.4GHz band is too crowded? Do you use the automatic channel selection?
As for the speed drop, try enabling airtime fairness if it is not enabled. There may be situations when some clients act poorly and consume all the bandwidth without actually downloading anything (I have a mobile phone that does this regardless of the router brand).

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!