What's new

Two questions about the AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

R G G

Regular Contributor
1. I can't find it on the Asus products page on asus.com or asus.ca. Is it... discontinued?

2. If you have personal experience setting up wireguard on this router, I'd like to know how easy the installation was, what kind of speeds you're getting, and how stable it is.

1. I can't find it on the Asus products page on asus.com or asus.ca. Is it... discontinued?

2. If you have personal experience setting up wireguard on this router, I'd like to know how easy the installation was, what kind of speeds you're getting, and how stable it is.

1) https://www.asus.com/Networking/RT-AX88U/

Are we missing something? Because at the time of this post the RT-AX88U does seem to be missing from the main website page for Asus Networking products... https://www.asus.com/Networking/Wireless-Routers-Products/

At the time of this post It also seems to be "Out of Stock" or "not currently available" first hand from the major retailers like Amazon and BB. It is still available from third party vendors with greatly increased prices.

I know many don't like speculations and this could be a simple common inventory issue but here are the possibilities: 1) They are simply low or out of inventory at this time and waiting for the new shipments. 2) They are making some kind of revision with that model of router and waiting on the newly updated inventory. 3) Inventory could be low because maybe there will be a new model that is similar that is coming out soon that will replace it (an AXE model ?).... again... all this is purely speculative but the RT-AX88U router has been out for quite a while. 4) It could also be that they recently updated that router products page and a mistake was made.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gar
Newegg is out of stock after selling for $280-300 for a month. Amazon is up to $380, which is odd, unless they know the other dealers won't have any soon. They generally stay competitive without any price gouging. There was a similar sell-out last year at about $250 just before the h/w revision started showing up. I think you are correct to suspect a change is coming soon. Maybe we'll get those flashing lights that went over so well on the GT2900?

Covid 19 killed supply chains from China and also high demand = stock and pricing is shirt
I haven't been able to check the validity of this information but a user in another active thread mentioned that the RT-AX88U is also manufactured in Vietnam. It could have just sold out temporarily because it looks like Amazon will have it back in stock and it will be available for shipping soon. This still doesn't explain why it has been missing from the Asus networking routers product page.

So what? Websites break all the time for a variety of reasons. Your making a mountain from a anthill

So what? Websites break all the time for a variety of reasons. Your making a mountain from a anthill.

"So what?....Your making a mountain from a anthill"... No, it's not a specific concern of mine. I am simply responding to the OP's question #1 which is the main topic we are supposed to be discussing in this thread.

I haven't been able to check the validity of this information but a user in another active thread mentioned that the RT-AX88U is also manufactured in Vietnam. It could have just sold out temporarily because it looks like Amazon will have it back in stock and it will be available for shipping soon. This still doesn't explain why it has been missing from the Asus networking routers product page.

Asus has multiple manufacturing sites. US stuff should come from vietnam and taiwan depending on product. AX82U is an exception (Chinese made) and prob the reason for higher price point relative to AX58U and AX86U.

Everything in Europe seems to be made in china.

Asus has multiple manufacturing sites. US stuff should come from vietnam and taiwan depending on product. AX82U is an exception (Chinese made) and prob the reason for higher price point relative to AX58U and AX86U.

Everything in Europe seems to be made in china.
I feel bad for Europe.

I just checked and my RT-AX86Us have tiny stickers that say "Made in Vietnam" on the outside of the boxes. If that is the same for the AX88U then all this "Covid effecting the China supply chains" talk doesn't make much sense. That's why I brought it up in the first place as a counter to that argument that keeps coming up in posts. I suppose an argument could be made that "some of the parts" used for assembly come from China if that is part of a greater "supply chain" argument.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!