What's new

Two RT-AC86Us, two years apart, newer one main router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

giant25

Occasional Visitor
I bought an RT-AC86U in Feb 2019 and have been running Merlin since its birth. I just bought a 2nd RT-AC86U to enable AiMesh, wired backhaul. Is anyone aware of any tweaks/changes/upgrades to HW/cooling/etc of the RT-AC86U over the last two years that would warrant me putting the new one in as the main router? Currently the 2yr old one is the main router, but I can switch it out if there's a reason. Any advice is appreciated.

no reason whatsoever

no reason whatsoever
I appreciate the reply. I remember early on in this model's lifetime there were some complaints about the 2.4 GHz radio failing as well as heat / fan concerns. That was the main motivation for asking, but no issues with my current device so I think I'll leave it be. Thanks again.

If you have both original boxes, maybe you can compare HW versions (if there is any difference).
I would also check bootloader version, and then compared the operating temperatures running the same FW, the same setting, similar workload. If you see a noticeable temperature difference, then I would suggest to put cooler running one as your main router
  1. Old router: check FW version, and the running temperature under different workloads
  2. Save the settings from the old router, bring the new router to the same level of FW, and upload the settings
  3. Now (temporarily) physically replace the old router with the new one
    1. compare the temperatures and wifi performance

If you have both original boxes, maybe you can compare HW versions (if there is any difference).
I would also check bootloader version, and then compared the operating temperatures running the same FW, the same setting, similar workload. If you see a noticeable temperature difference, then I would suggest to put cooler running one as your main router
  1. Old router: check FW version, and the running temperature under different workloads
  2. Save the settings from the old router, bring the new router to the same level of FW, and upload the settings
  3. Now (temporarily) physically replace the old router with the new one
    1. compare the temperatures and wifi performance
Thanks for the input.
Original Router: RT-AC86U
HW Ver: R1.5
Made In China
Production Year 2018

New Router: RT-AC86U
HW Ver Not Listed (it has been removed from the Sticker, which sounds consistent with other posts)
Made in Vietnam
Production Year 2020

I ran the new router for a bit as the primary in standalone (no mesh yet). Range and speeds were similar on Wifi Analyzer and Speedtest.net, but temps seemed a few degrees lower (not a scientific comparison, could just be dusty in the old one). Having said that, I made the new one the main router and moved the old one to become the AiMesh node. Up and running, so far, so good. I appreciate the responses and will post if anything drastic changes.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!