What's new

Two RT-AX1800S AiMesh question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PowerDr

New Around Here
I am new to AiMesh and really don't know what I am doing, but I am trying to learn. I have two RT-AX1800S's setup AiMesh with a wireless backhaul. I am connecting my PC to the node LAN port, and when I run a speed test it shows ~200 Mbps. My ISP is set at 400 Mbps and I get ~470 Mbps on my PC connected to the main router's LAN port, is there a reason why I can't get the full 400 Mbps on the node wired connection? I have the wireless backhaul setup on the 5GHz channel. I used the easy setup for the AiMesh so I don't know if there is anything I can tweak in the settings. TIA.

The client getting half speed is on the node's 5GHz radio? If so, that's what you'll get as the radio is doing double duty with the same traffic. You'll need a wired backhaul to get full speed that way.

I am new to AiMesh and really don't know what I am doing, but I am trying to learn. I have two RT-AX1800S's setup AiMesh with a wireless backhaul. I am connecting my PC to the node LAN port, and when I run a speed test it shows ~200 Mbps. My ISP is set at 400 Mbps and I get ~470 Mbps on my PC connected to the main router's LAN port, is there a reason why I can't get the full 400 Mbps on the node wired connection? I have the wireless backhaul setup on the 5GHz channel. I used the easy setup for the AiMesh so I don't know if there is anything I can tweak in the settings. TIA.
200Mbps is too low. Check the wireless link speed (PHY rate) between the router and the node. You want it to be 1201Mbps.

The wireless backhaul connection should be listed in the router's Wireless Log by MAC address of the node 5.0 WLAN. Those connection details indicate the strength of the backhaul connection.

Example log of ax phone client connection details...
1703086429725.png

... strong -49dBm signal, 2 streams, 80MHz bandwidth, full ax link rate of 1201Mbps for 2 streams.

What does your log show for your wireless backhaul connection?

OE

The wireless backhaul connection should be listed in the router's Wireless Log by MAC address of the node 5.0 WLAN. Those connection details indicate the strength of the backhaul connection.

Example log of ax phone client connection details...
View attachment 54992
... strong -49dBm signal, 2 streams, 80MHz bandwidth, full ax link rate of 1201Mbps for 2 streams.

What does your log show for your wireless backhaul connection?

OE
Here is what my Wireless log shows, there are two sets of details, the MAC address of the top set (first one listed below) is the MAC address of the main router, the next one is below that and the MAC address last digit is different (2nd pic) My node router's MAC address is not on either of the lists, however the highlighted one's below are all the same numbers as the node's except for the first two in each list. I hope this make sense of what I am looking at.

1703134698078.png

1703134809134.png

Last edited:
You don't need to hide MAC addresses, it just makes things more difficult to diagnose.

If you go to AiMesh in the router's web interface and click on the node's icon, then click on "Network" on the right, what do you see for "Connection Quality", "Uplink Type" and "PHY rate > Transmit and Receive rates"?

Untitled.png

Here is what my Wireless log shows, there are two sets of details, the MAC address of the top set (first one listed below) is the MAC address of the main router, the next one is below that and the MAC address last digit is different (2nd pic) My node router's MAC address is not on either of the lists, however the highlighted one's below are all the same numbers as the node's except for the first two in each list. I hope this make sense of what I am looking at.

View attachment 55006
View attachment 55007

You'll have to figure out if those MACs are your node WLAN MACs and backhaul connection. The top is the 2.4 band; the bottom is the 5.0 band... as is listed in the Log.

OE

You don't need to hide MAC addresses, it just makes things more difficult to diagnose.

If you go to AiMesh in the router's web interface and click on the node's icon, then click on "Network" on the right, what do you see for "Connection Quality", "Uplink Type" and "PHY rate > Transmit and Receive rates"?

View attachment 55012
I don't see PHY rate on my screen,
1703187452699.png

You'll have to figure out if those MACs are your node WLAN MACs and backhaul connection. The top is the 2.4 band; the bottom is the 5.0 band... as is listed in the Log.

OE
If I am reading this right my MAC address of the 2.4 GHz radio is :40 and the 5GHz is :44 at the end but my node shows the 5GHz connection to :40 and not :44
This is my main Router;
1703187797814.png

this is the node, does this mean that it is connected to the 2.4GHz radio and not 5GHz?
1703187875032.png

Your wireless backhauls should be listed in the Wireless Log... at best 2 ax streams for ~1200Mbps, but cut in half to share the radio with client connections, and minus WiFi overhead, and half-duplex only... all cuts into your overall throughput.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!