What's new

Two-Way IPS vs Router Firewall

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

adam911

New Around Here
Router: ASUS ROG GT-AC2900

Hi. I've read a dozen threads here about AIProtection, mostly interested in the Two-Way IPS feature but I have not found the answer.

What exactly is the difference between Two-Way IPS and the Router's Firewall? I've seen a lot of threads with people showing Two-Way IPS blocking various things, but my question is, wouldn't the firewall have blocked all of these things anyway? Because most of the explanations for the Two-Way IPS screenshots I've seen is people saying they simply blocked some bots scanning for open ports etc, which is what the Firewall blocks anyway.

Router: ASUS ROG GT-AC2900

Hi. I've read a dozen threads here about AIProtection, mostly interested in the Two-Way IPS feature but I have not found the answer.

What exactly is the difference between Two-Way IPS and the Router's Firewall? I've seen a lot of threads with people showing Two-Way IPS blocking various things, but my question is, wouldn't the firewall have blocked all of these things anyway? Because most of the explanations for the Two-Way IPS screenshots I've seen is people saying they simply blocked some bots scanning for open ports etc, which is what the Firewall blocks anyway.
I'd say yes that the router firewall should block most of those things regardless of the AIProtection being on/off. Where I think it comes into play mainly is outgoing traffic; "Additionally, Two-Way IPS detects suspicious outgoing packets from infected devices and avoids botnet attacks."