What's new

Typical expected drop in speed wired over wireless

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Try reducing power level on the ground floor AP. And if you can set a rssi value in the client or the AP to drop the connection.
I can adjust the power but this is a blanket adjustment so will keep as it is for the minute. I can also adjust the rssi value as well. This is currently set to -70dBm I'm not sure which direction this should go in. My S21 is currently up stairs and linked to the main router downstairs with a -71dBm. I should be connected to the node upstairs which is way closer.

read the rssi for the weakest device you would use downstairs and set it just below that ( e.g. more negative - so if you read -65dB , then set at -67dB to force the client off of that radio. Usually, the radio in the client device is the weaker, but not always.

with mobile handsets and 5GHz WiFi - it's also dependent on where/how the phone is placed - sitting idle flat on a table is going to be different than having it next to one's head in a call...

Head Loss is 5 dB at a minimum, FWIW...

with mobile handsets and 5GHz WiFi - it's also dependent on where/how the phone is placed - sitting idle flat on a table is going to be different than having it next to one's head in a call...

Head Loss is 5 dB at a minimum, FWIW...
That's cool chief. Am good about fluctuations and understand that. There is an issue and I think it's my S21 Ultra. I love my Samsungs but this is driving me nuts.

We have several devices, laptops, phones and tablets of various brands. Did another test tonight, walked away from the router until the phone disconnected, walked back, phone automatically reconnected, speed test, not even 50mb. Did the same with my iPhone and S20 FE, no issues. The S21 will hit high speeds on speed test if I disconnect and reconnect manually.

Ok, so a little more adjusting of the set up last night. It really is the Galaxy S21 Ultra that's annoying/ having the most issues with being moved from node to node etc. I turned off wifi 6 to see what would happen. well, the S21 moves nodes and doesn't really stick to the router. Interesting and frustrating as all the current devices we use in the house are wifi 6 devices.

However, I can be in the study, hit good download speeds, 300+mb happy with that. Go down stairs, phone is moved by the mesh system to the router/ uplink... check the speed and whoa! less than 50 mb!?! what gives? I just don't get it. No other device else has the same issue, iPhone 11 and above, tablets etc. and a galaxy S20 FE. So what gives? I can manually disconnect and reconnect to the router/ uplink and the speeds as then as expected. Doesn't matter if wifi 6 is on or not. I'll swap the router/uplink on the ground floor with the node on the first and see what happens. However, seems like to me the S21 is pony on wifi. Really disappointed although worked with the previous mesh setup?

Anyway, I've put up below my house layout which is 600sqft per floor. Router on the ground floor is as close a central as possible without being in the middle of the door way and power socket location. On the first floor, obviously miles out of centre but can be relocated to being more or less centre. This will obviously help with signal about the house on the first floor and won't help with the connection between devices.

Any help/ opinion would be so much appreciated.

Screenshot 2022-09-01 111611.jpg

Although not specifically the same situation, i.e. this is about the S22 and a different router, think this is more or less the problem. This is taken from the XDA forum. May need to either poke up with it in the hope there will be a fix or, change the mesh system.

Screenshot 2022-09-01 114554.jpg

Even with a wireless backhaul, your router/node setup doesn't look 'good enough' for me. The routers are effectively on top of each other.

Have you tried moving the router and/or node to another location (don't forget that with WiFi, inches matter)?

AiMesh Ideal Placement

The router/node has very little control over what a specific client device will do. But proper placement will help.

Even with a wireless backhaul, your router/node setup doesn't look 'good enough' for me. The routers are effectively on top of each other.

Have you tried moving the router and/or node to another location (don't forget that with WiFi, inches matter)?

AiMesh Ideal Placement

The router/node has very little control over what a specific client device will do. But proper placement will help.
I know, it's not the best set up. But, for the moment, that is where things need to be. I will move them when I have time. I've not tried moving the router yet. to be fair, didn't think it was worth it as it's only the S21 that has issues. It's like having a second teenager.

Is the node actually needed? What coverage/speeds do you get with the node unplugged from the AC power?

Somewhere (close) to where the speeds drop drastically is where the node should be set up. ;)

WiFi 6E requires WPA3 for 6GHz - so if the 2.4/5GHz radios are running WPA2 or WPA2/3-mixed, one might have problems roaming from a 6GHz AP to a 2.4 or 5GHz AP.

I've got a fairly new iPad (Air 4th gen) - in WPA2/3 mixed mode with 11k/v/r enabled - it won't roam - if I set the AP's to WPA2 or WPA3 only, it will... and it's not a 6E device, but it does support WPA3.

odd for me is that it's only the iPad that has the issue, my iPhones don't...

food for thought...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!