What's new

Ubuntu as a NAS instead of Ubuntu Server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lip

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Just wondering what would be the negatives of running Ubuntu desktop as a NAS/server instead of Ubuntu server?
Any problems setting up RAID or anything like this? I would imagine everything should be easier?

LIP

I am not sure if there is any large changes between the desktop version and the sever version of Ubuntu. It really is just a difference of base configuration. So either version would probably work just fine. The nice thing about the server version is that it is already slimmed down and does not install any unnecessary items.

In my opinion Ubuntu Server with Webmin is easy to setup and maintain. I think using Webmin is easier than using the desktop version.

00Roush

Ubuntu Desktop and Server editions are not that different. Basically it boils down to what packages come pre-installed. You can turn the server into a desktop by installing a graphic window manager; you can turn the desktop into a server by installing server packages (e.g. LAMP, etc).

Thanks guys.
I have a lot to learn but it should be fun!
I will have to look into where you get the packages from.

LIP

Ubuntu Desktop and Server editions are not that different. Basically it boils down to what packages come pre-installed. You can turn the server into a desktop by installing a graphic window manager; you can turn the desktop into a server by installing server packages (e.g. LAMP, etc).

I thought they have different kernel. AFAIR, the kernels have different default scheduling (fairness level) settings.

I thought they have different kernel. AFAIR, the kernels have different default scheduling (fairness level) settings.

You are right; I forgot that. However, if one is so inclined, the kernel can be swapped out as well. In fact, I believe Ubuntu Server at some point came with both the server kernel and the generic kernel. Again, those kernels are not that much different anyway.