What's new

UK - BT Digital Voice without Smart Hub?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Weggy

Regular Contributor
Hi,

We've been on FTTP for awhile now and recently BT turned off our old copper network. As a result we're now required to plug our phone into the BT Smart HUB in order to utilise our phone via Digital Voice. However, this isn't something I want to do as I utilise my own router running pfsense.

My question is, how can I connect my phone to Digital Voice without BT's Smart Hub. I'd be happy to connect the Smart Hub to my network, but ideally on a vlan shutting it off from the rest of my network (internet access only). What I do not want to do is use the Smart Hub as my router.

After searching and googling I can only find older threads and references which don't provide a solution, so I thought I'd see if anything might have changed.

Has anyone else encountered a similar requirement and implemented a working solution?

Many Thanks

That will be easy as you already have FTTP.
Look up a VOIP provider, Andrews and Arnold have excellent rates , ask them to port your phone number to their service.
You will need a VOIP phone or an ATA adaptor which plugs into your router and connects your phone/s.
Mark at ISP Review has a post on the subject :

ISP Reviews : UK VOIP providers.

I have the same problem but am on FTTC which means taking a new number, as I would be moving to an ISP that only uses Digital Voice (BT) and requires the BT Hub, then once on the new broadband service I can port my existing number to VOIP.

BT force you to use their hub for voice services , so you have to use another VOIP provider if you want your own router.

Yeah this matches with the information I found but I was hoping their might be a solution which enabled me to use BT's Digital Voice.

Yeah this matches with the information I found but I was hoping their might be a solution which enabled me to use BT's Digital Voice.

That's it , BT will not allow you to access their DV product unless you use their hub .....