What's new

UK gov internet scanning

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eightiescalling

I saw an article today about the UK government supposedly doing vulnerability scans across ALL UK infrastructure.

While an admirable goal when trying to understand the risk a nations digital population pose to it (and themselves and each other), it poses an interesting question on what sort of next steps they may do. While the NCSC blog refers to using the scans to "help system owners understand their security posture on a day-to-day basis" I can't see anything on how exactly that is done.

I wondered if there were any (publicly admitted!) comparable programmes being run in other countries and how they'd gone/been accepted?

You need to read more closely as it does not say "ALL internet devices " . This for companies and organizations that want to use the service.

You have to register :

Eligibility for Early Warning :

Early Warning is open to all UK organisations who hold a static IP address or domain name.

How to register for Early Warning :
1. Signup to Early Warning

2. You will need the following details to sign up:

a. Your NCSC Single Sign On details (if you don’t yet have an account, follow the link on the Early Warning signup page to create an account)
b. Your organisation's name
c. Your organisation's public IP addresses and domain names
d. The details of the contacts you wish alerts to go to (at least name and email address).

You need to read more closely as it does not say "ALL internet devices " . This for companies and organizations that want to use the service.

And the subtle nuances of the UK population and govt - most folks don't get that aspect...

I'm not seeing a problem here after digging into details - it's basically an opt-in

Seems like threat prevention is implemented as well and working. I haven't seen @BreakingDad around lately... :D
Don't worry my server is in pieces on ebay, they will have trouble scanning it.

I'm around, just nothing of interest going on, I upgraded to a new docsis 3.1 modem from docsis 3.0. That's about as wild as my life is right now, that and consistently cutting grass due to the warm November.

That and planning my new gaming rig.

unknown.png

Subject to adjustments. should run overwatch 2 at 600fps with any luck. muahahaha