What's new

Un-crippling the Asus RT-AC68A back to v1842

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eriksalo

New Around Here
Hi; This took me forever to find but here's how to "un-cripple" the Asus RT-AC68A. This router is the Amazon special version of the popular RT-AC68U router.

The router I bought auto upgraded to a firmware version that I could not upgrade. I thought this was really bad of Asus/Amazon to sell a product that could not be upgraded. If I knew this up front, I would not have purchased it. Happily, someone posted this downgrade fix that allowed me to move the firmware to whatever I like. Thanks to the OP whoever you are, I've modified the original to reflect the current filenames, etc.

(NATURALLY - ATTEMPT THIS AT YOUR OWN 'RISK')
1. Make sure your router has a connection to the Internet
2. Login to your router's WebGui, and turn on the Telnet feature: Administration > System > Enable Telnet
3. From a computer connected to the router (via an Ethernet cable,) connect to your router's IP address with your favorite SSH client, like PuTTY (putty.org)
4. Login via SSH using the same admin account and password as in step #2
5. Enter the following command to obtain the uncrippled '1842' firmware directly from Asus, and download it directly to the router:
wget http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC68U/FW_RT_AC68U_30043801842.zip
6. Enter the following command to decompress the downloaded firmware:
unzip FW_RT_AC68U_30043801842.zip
7. Enter the following command to install the firmware:
mtd-write2 RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_380_1842-g7414eb9.trx linux
8. Reboot your router - All DONE. The old firmware is loaded and running.
9. (Optional) Turn the Telnet feature back off:
10. (Optional, but recommended) Upgrade to latest Asuswrt-Merlin custom firmware.

After you do this, the router thinks it's an RT-AC68U and will upgrade normally, etc.

Good luck...