What's new

Unable to add your AIMesh node - RT-AC1900P (RT-AC68U) Merlin 386.3

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RangerZ

Regular Contributor
I am experiencing similar issues to what is discussed in this post.

LSS, it appears I mistakenly attempted to configure AIMesh with Ethernet connected (device had been set up as an AP). I am now stuck with the recurring message "Unable to add your AIMesh node".

I have reset the nodes multiple times at this point and now re-flashed the firmware (Merlin 386.3). Resets have been via hardware and then again resetting via the GUI, checking the "Initialize all the settings" check box. I have a minimal config of user\password and basic wireless SSID and key.

I have no issues finding the node, but can not get past 1%. I am also not clear which device is having the issue.

I have not tried to reverse the nodes; I would rather clear any issues.

Is there any additional config that I can clear via SSH?

Unable to add your AIMesh node2.PNG

Last edited:
I have reset the nodes multiple times at this point and now re-flashed the firmware (Merlin 386.3). Resets have been via hardware and then again resetting via the GUI, checking the "Initialize all the settings" check box. I have a minimal config of user\password and basic wireless SSID and key.

You should have no config at all. Fresh reset and powered on router. I have both RT-AC86U and RT-AC1900P. Both work as main/node no problem. You don't need Asuswrt-Merlin on the node.

What I meant was after flashing one needs to login to the device and I only complete the required prompts for the Quick Install process before attempting to add the AIMesh node, no other confg.

I have actualy had these devices setup as AIMesh on the last 2 stock and Merlin builds with no issue. I have also had them running as an AIMesh AP and node on the last 2 Merlin builds (on my UNIFI LAN), so I know all this has worked with both devices. I was recently testing them as router and (wired) AP. The problem occured when I reset the AP and tried to connect it as an AIMesh node, but did so over ethernet out of wireless range. The device was discovered but sat at 0% for about 5 minutes. At this point I realized something was wrong and closed the pairing window, unpluged the HW and reset it up next to the router. Now every time I try to pair I get the same message.

Try again with current Asuswrt on both routers. It's newer than current Merlin. See this thread:

this is know issue - you need to factory reset main router and one that will be mesh node then switch router to node and before configure main router add node one.
Asus do not have idea how to fix it from first AiMesh release - for some this issue is not present for rest is :(

I am experiencing similar issues to what is discussed in this post.

LSS, it appears I mistakenly attempted to configure AIMesh with Ethernet connected (device had been set up as an AP). I am now stuck with the recurring message "Unable to add your AIMesh node".

I have no issues finding the node, but can not get past 1%. I am also not clear which device is having the issue.

I have not tried to reverse the nodes; I would rather clear any issues.

Is there any additional config that I can clear via SSH?

View attachment 35472

Hope you found a solution in the meantime.

I was having the same trouble and spent many hours reflashing both routers to no avail.

What eventually worked was Merlin 386.3_2 on my AC86U and the latest stock firmware on the AC68U node.

I switched the AC68U into an AI Mesh node, moved the routers right next to each other, and connected successfully over WiFi only.

Both are now running fine over the ethernet backhaul.

My feeling is this issue may have had more to do with the AC68U under Merlin 386.3 and _2. The WiFi SSIDs weren't very stable after resets, and kept getting lost. The stock firmware wasn't brilliant, but enough to finally get it connected.

Last edited:
@Tech9 , Thank you, I was not able to get back to this as fast I had hoped.
I reverted to Asuswrt 386_43129 and was able to connect, but it did fail on the first attempt with the same error. Subsequent attempts have been successful.

FWIW, I an using 2 ASUS RT-AC1900P, and you reported that you were able to connect on 386_3. I will assume we have different HW revs, but there are no revs on the devices and not clear on how to properly ID these.

@Spud I was unable to connect with Merlin 386_3.2 on the router and Asuswrt 386_43129 on the node, but I only tried it once. I think I should have tried it at least a second time.

I do now have Mesh running on Merlin 386_2.4 on the router and Asuswrt 386_43129 on the node. No testing done at this point. I prefer to use Merlin as I plan to use a USB HDD on the router and rather use SMB V2.

I have not tested 386_2.6. I thought I had already tested this, but going back to my notes it appears I only ran 386_2.6 as a AP.

FWIW, I an using 2 ASUS RT-AC1900P, and you reported that you were able to connect on 386_3. I will assume we have different HW revs, but there are no revs on the devices and not clear on how to properly ID these.

The one I have is RT-AC1900P with H/W ver. B2, manufactured in 2017.

@Tech9, Are you getting the HW rev from the device, box or system (via Putty, etc.)?
Mine do not have revs on the units, they only have the serial numbers, MAC and PIN. No boxes.
One serial starts J1IAHB and the other H7IAHB. Both have 6 following digits.
Reading this post it seems like the sequence of versions may be A1(V1?), V3, B2 (inferred from delivered firmware reported in the post).
I recently installed 2 RT-AC1900P for different clients with HW version B2 (on box only) with SNs in the M1IAHB (date? and FW 3.0.0.4.384_45149 FW) and L7IAHB (Date 2020 and FW3.0.0.4.384??). All the HW I have seen say in the instructions FCC ID: MSQ-RTAC68V2.

From my decades in manufacturing, and while more data would be needed, it seems like the first 2 chrs could be a date code (Y\M). If we assume L is 2020 and M is 2021, then my J and H would be 2016 and 2017 which is what I expect these to be?? I think it might be helpful (for dev\bug reporting) if there was a better understanding of ASUS rev mystery for the family.

Last edited:
FCC MSQ-RTAC68UV2
S/N starts with H8IXHB

There was a paper sticker on it:
H/W Ver.: B2
F/W Ver.: 3.0.0.4.380
MFG Year: 2017

@Tech9 Thanks to the details. I guess that shoots a hole in my serial number logic.
I had been running the J device as the router and H device as the node. I just tried reversing them hoping to replicated your results, but no joy (Router Merlin 386.2-6 and node on ASUS 386_43129).
I assume the paper sticker was on the box, not the device.

I assume the paper sticker was on the box, not the device.

Paper sticker placed by hand on top of the original black sticker, on the device. It wasn’t even properly aligned. All my Asus routers came from recycling channels and I see stickers like this often. I’m assuming it’s a warranty related sticker. Someone purchased the router, it was returned to retailer, some devices show repair attempts, etc. I don’t have any packaging.

this is know issue - you need to factory reset main router and one that will be mesh node then switch router to node and before configure main router add node one.
Asus do not have idea how to fix it from first AiMesh release - for some this issue is not present for rest is :(

@Adooni , I am going to try to get back to this again this weekend, but I am not really following what you are suggesting I do. Can you please be more detailed.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!