What's new

Unable to downgrade firmware on AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Smart Connect is a hack at best. There's nothing that can be "fixed", some clients will always have compatibility issues with it, because it's just Broadcom trying to be clever, dancing around official specifications.
I was hoping the Merlin build would improve it.

so far Alpha Build 3 on the latest firmware is awesome. can't wait till it's finalzed

SmartConnect is all blackbox stuff - and it's easy enough to disable and drive the bus oneself...

I am frustrated.
I bought this router for two reasons
1) faster wifi speed (this goal was handily exceeded)
2) SmartConnect - my four Roku 3s and one Roku stick have issues connecting (at all) to wifi when SmartConnect is on. As soon as I disable Smart Connect, they connect INSTANTLY. :mad:

Known issue without a solution:
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/roku-rt-ac3200s-smart-connect.29923/

Edit - seems whatever I did to get two of the Rokus (one Roku 3 and a Roku stick) working is sticking.
One never needed a hard reset and / or then connecting while Smart Connect was off and then reenabling Smart Connect.

For some reason the last one of the 3 units I have been playing with is being stubborn. I will try to perform the potential workaround steps above again and change the order of the steps to match the above.
Then again it may have to do with location.
The 4th Roku never had an issue connecting even with Smart Connect enabled.
Will check 5th tonight.

Worst case scenario I will manually assign devices to the 3 bands. Only my laptop, netbook and cell phone get moved from location to location.
Still a shame since I like the concept of a single SSID and letting router use the Smart Connect rules to perform supposedly smart / optimal client assignment decision making.

Edit - Looks like I have all 5 working now. Fingers crossed that it finally sticks.

For anyone with that issues (eg the people who posted in the 'Asus AC3200 and Roku issues thread' might take a combination of the following steps:
- reset Roku Wireless connect or hard reset (worst case scenario)
- disable Smart Connect temporarily
- connect Roku to wireless network (with Smart Connect disabled).
- Re-enable Smart Connect
- If all goes well, you wie an 'update connection' option appear on the Roku 3 network menu. Click this and hopefully it connects.

Last edited:
ASUS released their buggy firmware 3.0.0.4.380.3341 again. Bunch of clowns keep releasing it and pulling it

I may try the latest (re-released) firmware again then:

I had Smart Connect working well on ALL 5 Rokus.
There was some occasional buffering on Amazon Video on our Samsung Smart TV. I was not sure if it was due to the app, TV or Smart Connect, but I decided to try to fix it. Big mistake. Then of course, after changing settings on router the Rokus stopped working.
It was bound to happen sooner or later anyway, but...

I am currently running my RT-AC5300 with Smart Connect off but would like to get it working again, since this was one of the main features I bought it for.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!